I shook my head, looking back up at him. "Don't you get it, Benjamin?" I questioned and he gave me a soft puzzled glance. "He will always hurt me. Every time I look at him it is just a reminder that he chose her over me. That he betrayed and hurt me." I shook my head. "I appreciate you trying to protect your future Lady of Emberhelm, but there is something I need to do."

I tried to step away, but he still held on. "I am not protecting you because you are my future Lady of Emberhelm, Adelina." He shook his head. "I am protecting you because..." He broke of, and glanced away.

"Don't." I shook my head and he looked back up at me. "Don't try to protect me. There are somethings that I can't be protected from. This is one of those times." I ignored the look he was giving me, and pulled my hands from his, stepping around him and locking eyes with Dominic. After a second, I glanced back behind me to see Benjamin looking at me, as was most of the room. "I am going to apologize for what I am about to do." I said to him quietly, and for a second I thought I saw him crack a smile.

I turned back, and stalked angrily across the room, locking eyes with Dominic just as I reached them. "Adelina." He said, a smile forming, and it angered me even more.

I looked to Genevieve, who wasn't looking at me. She was shamefully looking down at the floor. "Look at me." I said quietly. She didn't. "Look at me!" I shouted, causing her to flinch, but then look up. "You ruined my life, and you are going to pay. I will make you regret it for the rest of your life."

"Adelina, I..." She started, but then I lost it.

I slapped her with the palm of my right hand, feeling the sting immediately worsen though I didn't show it. "Know your place." I shouted at her. "You will not speak to me, ever again. You are a traitor. To me. To your family, as well as mine, and even to Vrinian." I tilted my head slightly, a devious grin crossing my face. "But I guess I should have expected it. Like father like daughter."

"Enough, Adelina." Dominic's voice caused me to look at him with my eyebrows raised. "It was my fault as much as hers. I convinced her to run away with me. It was the only way we could be together. We didn't mean to hurt you...."

"But you did." I nodded. "For years, you led on this charade. It sickens me." I stepped up to him. "You forget that you are not the King of Vrinian, Dominic. You are nothing. You are the lowest of the low. How dare you show your face here?" I shook my head. "After everything you have done. After hurting me, as well as Marina. You ruined her life. You betrayed her as much as you did me. I would fear her wrath, far worse than mine. You disappoint me, Dominic. I can only image what your father would say." I shrugged. "How disappointed he would be." I turned and started walking off, but he grabbed my right hand. The hand I had slapped Genevieve with. The hand, the by the feel of it, I had reopened the wounds. When he grabbed my hand, a small yelp escaped my lips before I could stop it. Showing for a split second just how much it hurt. He glanced down, as did I and already the blood was seeping through my silk glove. I wanted to escape. Before I lost my anger, I brought up my left hand and slapped him with the back of my hand. Now I had two hurt hands again, but he left my right go, and I left the hall quickly, before anyone could stop me. The minute I was out of sight, I burst into tears.

***

Queen Marina Fairmore

Iron City, Sarkin

I took a shaky breath, trying to calm my nerves. This dress was beautiful, gorgeous even. As I had been getting dressed, Marnie told me the story of it and how she had remembered watching her mother make it. She stated that years later Elyas had given it to her, revealing that it had been made for Callan, Elyas sister, but she ran away before wearing it. Elyas stated that it was meant for her. It has not been worn since then, and it now seems that Marnie intended me to have it, though I am not sure I deserve it. The pale purple skirt fell to the floor, though not long enough to drag across the stone. Silver threading and beading accented the entire dress, including the off the shoulder sleeves which cascaded to match the length of the skirt. The pale purple highlighted the deep purple bodice. For a moment, when I was dressing, I wondered if the dress would be slightly too big for me, but the corset back synched it to the right size.