Her Majesty [Anakin x Amidala!Reader]

Start from the beginning

"It's only until your security can be re-established," Padmé assured you. "Besides, it's alright to like him. There's nothing wrong with it."

"He's a Jedi," you reminded her. "And I'm a queen. If that isn't enough to bring you to realize that it's a bad idea, I don't know what will convince you."

"I've said that I want you to be safe," Padmé reminded you. "Anakin is our friend, and if you agree, I'll give you the dress to keep."

The intercom interrupted your conversation. "A Jedi by the name of Anakin Skywalker is here to see you, your majesty."

Was he there already? You had not had time to prepare yourself. You gave Padmé a look-- a you-had-better-not, please-don't, this-will-only-end-in-tears, stop-this-now look. Padmé returned a look -- an up-to-no-good, too-bad, too-late, at-least-you-get-the-dress type look. She pressed a button on your nightstand, turning on the intercom on your end. "This is Senator Amidala. Please send Master Skywalker in."

Within moments, Anakin was before you. He was even more handsome than you remembered him. His hair had grown out nicely, and a scar that cut through the right side of his face was a testament to his bravery. Despite how different he appeared, you still found yourself recalling the past. You remembered how your heart had jumped when you had laughed together, and how your breathing hitched when he was close. You could only hope that Padmé had made the right decision. You could only hope that you were strong enough to survive this. "It is an honor to see you again, your majesty," he announced.

"I apologize for my informality," you returned, quite formally. "I offer no excuse, only a request for your forgiveness."

"There isn't any need to apologize, your majesty," Anakin assured you.

"It's hard to believe it's been three years since we were all in the same room," Padmé interrupted. "And it's such a shame that it has to come to an end so soon. I must oversee preparations for Queen Amidala's journey back. Please excuse me, your majesty."

You hesitated but a moment. You didn't want to be alone. Nevertheless... "You are excused, Senator," you allowed.

"Thank you, your majesty." With that, Padmé left the room, but not before giving you a look that read, Don't be so serious. You're allowed to smile. In your mind, no, you could not. Smiling would be opening a door that you could not go through and hurting yourself trying to cross the threshold.

Anakin spoke as soon as Padmé was out of earshot. "I am glad to see you, your majesty."

"It is always an honor to meet with the members of the Jedi order, especially those who are such dear friends," you returned. You didn't lose the air of a queen for a moment. Even to your ears, you sounded stiff and calloused. Perhaps that was who you were now, and the silly girl who had loved and laughed with Anakin had died. The poor thing must have left the inconvenience of being in love with a Jedi as your inheritance.

Anakin nodded his thanks, lowering his gaze and leading it away from you as though the sight of you burned him. Oh, by the stars, you were nineteen again. You wanted to wring your hands or say something that would make him laugh. You wanted to reach out and pull him into a hug and tell him how much you missed him. You wanted to sneak into Padmé's room and stay up late, laughing about how you took every one of his gestures and twisted it into something it couldn't be. More than anything, you wanted to cry, because it couldn't be. It couldn't be. It couldn't be.

And yet, you remained stoic. "I mean to leave within the next hour. Can you prepare for departure by then?"

You thought that you saw the whisper of a smile on Anakin's face. "Yes, your majesty. I'm sure that I am capable of being ready by then. Jedi don't have much in the galaxy to carry along."