Love Letter

Priscilla entered her bedroom at one in the morning and saw Scott sleeping peacefully. She decided not to wake him this time, sitting with her stationery in an armchair in the corner of the room. She put the lamp on the lowest setting she could see in, hoping not to disturb her husband.

She was grateful for him, and she wouldn't have him think anything less, no matter how annoying he got to be. She didn't want to imagine him giving some new woman the privilege of getting on her nerves every day.

A little smile touched her lips, watching that man in the bed she shared with him, and she knew there was no place she would rather be than right here. Loving Scott wasn't such a bad deal.

She readjusted herself in the chair, and Peter kicked her in the rib. She inhaled sharply, wincing. She would be so happy when Peter was out.

Setting the notebook on the arm of the chair, she began to pen her love letter to her husband.

Scott,

Sometimes, I just look at you and I wonder how I got so fortunate to have you want me. I think of all the single women begging God, the universe, karma, dating sites, just anything to bring someone like you their way, and I just stumbled into your world.

You've given me everything I never knew that I needed. I was so afraid to accept that kind of love because I didn't think that I deserved to be loved that way. Because as great as I knew I was, there was still some part of me that felt you were too good for me. So I pushed you away, tried to keep you at bay.

I couldn't have picked a better man to lose my virginity to. I couldn't have picked a better man to make a father. You're more than I ever dreamed of when I was eighteen, watching so many people fall in love for their first time.

I never imagined falling in love myself. Even once I had, I never thought I would be brave enough to admit and embrace it. You make it less scary. You show me every day without fail that you are mine, and I hope I show you that I am yours.

You get on every nerve in my body, but Paulina said that's usually what happens when people love each other and that I probably get on your nerves, too. I wouldn't want anyone else getting on my nerves for the rest of my life, so I'll just tolerate your annoyingness.

I fall so much more in love with you every time I lay my eyes on you, every time I see you smile. Dear God, when you smile at me, my heart melts. I completely understand what makes other women double take when you enter a room. I completely understand that sort of admiration. Because I have the privilege of getting to look at you every single day for the rest of our lives, and I still get taken every time.

I understand why Marguerite cried when you married me. Because a woman who had you and lost you has a whole lot to mourn. I do not want to make the mistake of losing you.

You make me feel like I am worthy of love. You make me feel like the most beautiful girl in the world. I just wanted to say thank you.

Love,

Priscilla

Priscilla took her letter and put it on the bathroom counter so that she knew Scott would see it when he awakened. Then she went and got her phone, going to sit back in her chair.

Upon checking her notifications, she noticed that Penelope had tagged her in something. She discovered it was a video.

"I wanna dedicate this cover to my big sister, Priscilla. You're perfect just the way you are, baby," she said as the instrumental for Jessie J's Who You Are came in.