Chapter 6; Graduation Part 1

Levi and his team rode their horses across a vast empty plain outside the wall. His men were tired, and he was considering setting up camp for the night. But out here in the open, it was a high possibility that they would be swarmed by Titans, and eaten alive with no high ground to escape their reach. If there was a village out here, how did they survive?

They'd first set out looking for information on cadet (Name) from the 104th Trainee cor. But this far, they hadn't turned up any tangible evidence of who he was. Hanji said she'd met (Name) during the attack on wall Maria. He'd been in bad condition from shrapnel lodged into his body, but miraculously pulled through. She wanted to go see him in the training camp since they had "off" time, as she called it. But Levi denied her request firmly.
So they'd poked around the refugees from Maria, seeing if they knew anything about (Name).
While they couldn't find anything, they wound up at the Wall Rose post office, digging through the names on envelopes and such. The post offices had froze after the first Titan attack, because people and resources needed to be reassigned. The only written messages that got through these days were hand-delivered ones.
"Seriously, I would've argued with Erwin If I knew this guy was so scarce." Levi mumbled.
"Hey!" Hanji shouted, seeming relatively excited.
Levi looked up, a small amount of hope in his dull eyes. "Find something?"
"This is a letter from several miles outside the wall." Hanji reported curiously.
Levi sighed, and returned to his sifting.
"Stay focused on the mission Hanji." he ordered downbeat.
Ignoring his order, Hanji looked over the contents of the letter.
"Dear project director..... The tests are proceeding as planned..... HEY GUYS!!!" she shouted while reading the letter.
"Was that really in the letter?" Oluo asked with his usual offbeat attitude. He scratched the back of his grey hair.
"Don't bite your tongue yet, Oluo, give Hanji a chance." a young, auburn haired girl said next to him.
"Thank you Petra! Have faith in me!" Hanji shouted excitedly in the support of her teammate.
Hanji carried the envelope with her to the post office's registry, where she flipped it open until she found the sender's name.
"So.... It's from... Dr. Imagri? Anyone recognize that name? No? It doesn't have a return address, and it was never passed on to the recipient. Looks like it's several years old. But (Name) is mentioned in here... The registry says that the letter arrived by a carrier pigeon, coming from the South. It also said that the bird looked like it'd traveled several miles."
"Alright." Levi spoke up. "We're going outside the wall.

So that's how they'd ended up out here, but Levi didn't like the fact that they hadn't seen anything. And it was getting dark, which didn't help calm his nerve.
It wasn't long before they saw a Titan running across the plains.
All his squad members saw it, and drew their swords. But the Titan didn't notice them, it only kept running in the same direction, an oddly worried look on its massive face.
"Follow it." Levi ordered his crew, unsure of the Titans odd behavior.
They turned towards the Titan, headed south west, until several structures appeared in the distance. They reined their horses in as the Titan slowed down, and Levi could see a large village that it stopped in front of.
"Take him out, now. If there are any living people in that settlement we must save them." Levi ordered his crew as they advanced, slower and more alert.
They retreated as the Titan made an unpredictable move. On reaching the edge of the village, the Titan sniffed the air loudly, and then it screamed. A loud, horrifying scream from deep within its gut, before it ran full speed away from the village, out into nowhere. It's eyes holding nothing but deep terror.
Some of Levi's squad spurred their horses to follow the Titan, but Levi held his hand up to stop them.
"I think we're here," Levi told them, "and it's getting dark, so there would be no point in following it any longer. Hanji, what do you make of its behavior?"
Hanji shrugged. "It could have been an abnormal, but I'm still eager to poke around here."
"Then let's set camp up in the village. Keep your guard up everyone, who knows what we'll find." Levi spurred his horse into a light trot, and his team followed him into the village.