chapter 5

Chapter 5

‘Hmmm, maybe it’s a coincidence.’  Chris looked at Eva’s reports, missing the sceptical expression on her face.  Why did everyone she spoke to about the case want to find a reason to dismiss it? She watched as he flicked through the pages.  He was one of the police detectives in the homicide department, who had been assigned to one of the cases relating to the girls in Eva’s lab.

‘Well I could open their files again, and we’ll keep an eye out for any leads.’  He shut the folder with a snap and handed it back to her.  ‘Busy today?’

‘Same old, same old,’ she shrugged picking up the folder.  ‘Interesting case came in yesterday, a guy was killed with an icicle.’

‘An icicle?’ he looked at her uncertainly.

‘Yeah, from a freezer.  Forensics was having a hard time figuring out what the murder weapon was.  No weapon, no finger prints, the perfect crime,’ she smiled, ‘People can be very creative.’

‘Yeah and destructive,’ he mused.  His dark eyes looked thoughtfully at her.  ‘Are you enjoying being here?’

She nodded, it had been weird to come back after so many years away, especially since so little had changed.  ‘It’s home.’

He stood up and came round his desk to perch on the edge.  ‘So do you want to go out tonight?’

‘Can’t, I have a lot of paperwork to catch up on,’ she said, pushing her hands deep into her pockets, ‘Can I take a rain check?’

‘Sure,’ he smiled, but his eyes showed a hint of impatience.  Ever since Eva had started working at the lab Chris had felt an attraction between them.  They had gone out together within the first week of her starting at the police department, and had gone out several times since then.  But he always seemed to sense that she wasn’t all there.  It seemed like she was holding back and he was almost certain he felt more for her than she did for him. 

‘Okay, I’d better go…back to the dungeons.’  Eva almost ran out of the office.  Chris was a nice guy, and she knew he wanted some sort of commitment from her to move their relationship forward.  But she wasn’t ready for that.  What was wrong with him anyway, she argued with herself.  He was tall, dark and handsome, was a natural athlete playing basketball and rugby in the summer, and he was above all a genuinely nice guy.  He ticked all the right boxes for becoming the perfect boyfriend, so what was the matter with her stupid heart?  She had tried to hide the reason from herself, but it was obvious.  Her breathing didn’t change when he came close, nor did her heart speed up its rhythm.  She could have kicked herself for wanting something that was a complete fantasy.  Some people had to settle for second best; maybe she should too and make the best of it.  She grimaced; yes… she would go out more with Chris Masterson and forget the fantasy.

She followed through on her plan a few nights later.  Chris had been invited to a charity dinner and dance and he had asked her to go with him.

‘It’s a bit fancy, but we won’t have to stay long.  The chief really wants us all to go,’ he had said rolling his eyes.

Dressy occasions weren’t her forte either, but her mother had insisted on packing an evening dress for her.  So here she was, dressed in the midnight blue gown that skimmed over her slight figure, clinging to her upper body before flowing elegantly to the floor.  The outfit was held on by thin straps at her shoulders and had small sequins sewn all over it, so that it sparkled whenever she moved.  It was simple elegance at its best.  She had sighed in resignation when her mother had bought it, now she was glad she had. 

Chris’s reaction when he had come to pick her up had caused her to redden slightly in embarrassment.  He had whistled under his breath and then kissed her quickly on the lips.  ‘You look great!  I had no idea…maybe we should do this sort of thing more often!’

‘No way! This will be the first and last time,’ she had replied firmly, walking uncertainly in her heels towards his Toyota. 

Having nearly keeled over half a dozen times on that short two-second walk, she now held onto his arm tightly. She was sure she was hurting him but he didn’t show it, as they entered the huge hall.  Chris knew several people and she hid a grimace as she was towed towards yet another group of strangers.  She tried to hold polite conversation, but her attention was divided between them and the constant fear of falling flat on her face.

‘Are you alright?’ he asked at one point as she fumbled to regain her balance.

‘Yup, never better,’ she had lied through her teeth, trying to smile, certain that it resembled a snarl from a rabid dog.  He had nodded and promptly continued to drag her across the floor. 

‘Ah Chris, I want you to meet someone.’  The police Chief’s voice floated towards them.  Chris turned round suddenly, almost catapulting Eva into the antique table nearby.

‘Chris Masterson I’d like you to meet Nicholas Rayne, one of the finest lawyers at the DA’s office.’

Eva had been busy trying to keep both feet on the ground, but hearing the introductions her head snapped up.  Her eyes clashed with molten silver and held.  Nicholas was dressed in a black tuxedo and crisp white shirt that fit him like a glove. His perfect appearance seemed to throw the other men into shadow. 

His intense gaze left hers to skim down the length of her before returning to her face.  She thought she saw something change in them but they shifted to Chris as he held out his hand. 

‘Mr. Masterson, I hear the chief is very proud of your work.  Were you one of the officers on the Sharpe case?’

The men talked amiably, discussing cases they had dealt with and their opinions about them.  Eva sighed, thank god she didn’t have to contribute to the conversation.  She could watch Nicholas to her heart’s content without having to deal with that burning gaze on her skin.  She blushed again as she remembered how he had looked at her. Almost as soon as she thought about it, those eyes were focussing on her once again, almost as though he had read her thoughts.

‘I’m sorry, this is my date Miss Eva Tanner, a medical examiner at the police crime lab,’ Chris introduced her to Nicholas having noticed Nicholas’ stare.

‘We have met before Miss Tanner.  How do you do?’  The softly spoken words seemed to caress her as she smiled politely at him.  

‘Fine, thank you.’ 

‘May I compliment you and be so daring as to say you look absolutely ravishing tonight?’ Nicholas smiled back at her, his eyes twinkling with amusement. 

She couldn’t help feeling his speech was more suited to a past era, as she swallowed nervously and tried to keep her smile pasted on her face.  As to saying anything, it was impossible.  Her heart had decided to stop beating and it seemed as though a flock of butterflies had taken up residence in her stomach.  Her brain seemed to be frozen and try as she might she could not think straight.

‘Thank you,’ she managed to gasp, after what she thought was an eternity.

His eyes shone with suppressed laughter, before turning back to Chris to continue their conversation.  She excused herself and teeter tottered to the powder room, eager to escape that stunning gaze.  She touched her face.  It was very warm and she could imagine how red it must be.  She always did blush excessively, no wonder he had been laughing at her. 

Glancing at one of the mirrors, she noted the tell tale blush on her cheeks and for some reason her eyes looked overly bright, which made them appear huge.  She tried to breath normally and slowly her heartbeat resumed its normal rhythm and the blush receded slightly.  This was ridiculous, all this over a few polite words and some glances.  It wasn’t as though the man had even touched her. 

But the mere thought of Nicholas’ touch was enough to cause the blush to reassert itself and her heart to almost give up trying to be normal.  She sighed and resumed her calming exercise.  She must not think about Nicholas Rayne, or else she may not survive the night.  She had enough trouble with her balance without adding a faulty heart and a tendency to turn red at the drop of a hat to the list.