Chapter 6

My bottom lip is raw from biting it for the last ten minutes.

It's Tuesday, time to perform our scene and Grant is nowhere to be found. The scene before ours is just finishing up and I raise my head to look around the seats to see if Grant slipped in while I wasn't paying attention. Nope.

I reach into my backpack and take out my phone. Discreetly I check my texts, nothing. I type out another text, the tenth one in the last ten minutes.

        Me: Where are you? We are going on in two minutes!

Still nothing.

The applause interrupts my thoughts and I panic. Maybe my marry me joke on Saturday scared him off. Me and my big mouth. Grant was probably being nice telling me he wanted to be friends. He bailed on the scene not wanting to see me and now I am going to fail. Fail this class and fail at being a friend.

How could I be so stupid to believe he wanted to be friends with me, thinking I was good enough to perform with him? Can my life get any worse?

"Mirabella." Dunhill comes to sit next to me. His gentle tone sending up warning signs. Is he about to tell me I failed and should leave class? I wish I never met Grant Trenton.

"Yes, Professor?" I try to swallow but my throat just won't cooperate.

"Grant emailed me yesterday. It seems he has had to go back to LA for a meeting with a producer. He did explain that you both worked hard on your scene and is disappointed he is unable to make the performance."

It's would have been nice if he contacted me.

"Oh, I had no idea he had to leave. I was looking forward to the performance too."

And about the kissing scene. Nervous, but excited to finally be able to show him how I want to be more than a friend. That maybe he will see something deeper in our relationship than just food jokes and the craft of acting.

"I figured you would be disappointed, so I think I have a solution."

"Oh really? What is it?"

Dunhill pats my shoulder, "I would play Jason in your scene. It is obviously not ideal as it would be hard for me to properly judge your performance while acting with you, but I would hate to leave you without bringing my words to life today."

My stomach lurches at the thought. Not only is Grant not here to do the scene, but he left me with a scene partner who could be my grandfather. This is a horrible idea.

"I don't know. Perhaps Grant and I can reschedule the scene for another day. I am sure he will be back soon. It's just that the blocking is a bit complicated and—"

"Nonsense. This play is in my blood. As for the blocking, I will try to follow your lead. This should be fun."

Dunhill grabs my hand and yanks me toward the stage. The next few minutes are a nauseating blur as he announces to the class the change. There were many gasps and some laughter.

I never expected to be humiliated doing a scene for class. No matter what grade I receive I won't be able to look anyone in the eye for weeks.

Just as I take my place on stage I hear the doors to the theater slam. Glancing over my heart leaps out of my chest. Relief washes over my body as I see his emerald eyes searching for me.

Grant.

He made it. I don't know if I am more relieved that I get to do the scene with him or that I don't have to do it with Dunhill.

"Grant you made it. I was just about to fill in for you. You are right on time." Dunhill calls from the stage.

Grant's feet move swiftly up the steps to the stage with wide eyes, "Yes, I got here right in the nick of time." He smirks at me and I duck my head trying not to laugh.