Chapter Twenty-Three - The Secret's of the Pensive

We arrive back at Hogwarts and the events of the first few days pass as regularly as any other. I decide - at Draco's urging - not to tell anybody about my true parentage, simply sufficing to telling Honey and Sophia that the people I thought were my parents actually adopted me at birth. Both of them were equally shocked and disgusted that no mention had been made to me before now, and that my 'mother' had told me the truth in the heat of an argument, rather than sitting me down and telling me calmly, as if she cared.

I quickly told them that it was obvious she didn't care at all.

As soon as they found out, neither of them would leave my side, staying defensively close to me at all times. At first it was heart-warming to see that my two best friends were dedicating so much time to me when they indubitably had other, better things to be doing, but after the first week of being constantly followed around and shifted between minders, my patience began to wear thin. The only time they ever left me alone was when I was with Draco, which I couldn't help but feel if when I'd need their protection the most.

Draco continued to sneak off - using the excuse that he was going to the tree-house - but I was never allowed to accompany him. He said that he wanted to get our home right by himself, a small apology compared to all of the harm he and his family had caused me, and that I shouldn't worry - he could take care of himself.

But the nagging feeling in the pit of my stomach that he wasn't being entirely truthful with me refused to subside.

It was on the first Sunday evening of the year that Harry found me in the library, pretending to read a book on Transfiguration whilst I squirmed under Sophia's hawkish staring from the other end of the table. I was starting to pack up my quills and books when he came around the corner, his eyes lighting up as they settled on me, and he quickened his pace until he was in front of me. "Li, Professor Dumbledore wants to see us both in his office, now."

I looked at Sophia, who had stood up protectively, and nodded at Harry. "The headmaster has summoned me Soph - probably wants to speak to me about that Divination lesson I missed last week. I'll meet you back in the common room?"

Her eyes flickered suspiciously to Harry, her eyebrows furrowed as she tried to decide whether to let me go off with this Gryffindor, and the most dangerous Gryffindor of all too. Finally, she sighed, and nodded her head. "Ok, I'll tell Draco that you'll be a bit late." With that, she picked up her textbooks and gave me a quick hug, before leaving the library.

"Come on, we can't keep him waiting" Harry said, helping me to gather my papers together. I roughly shoved them into my satchel and slung it over my shoulder, before jogging to keep up with Harry as he strode out of the library. Madam Pince glared at us as we left, but we ignored her, pushing open the heavy door of the library and scuttling down the corridor. Harry led the way to Dumbledore's office, not even stopping to speak to Ron as we passed him. Besides, Ron looked to be too busy with Lavender, who hadn't lost any of her annoying personality over the holidays. From the expression on his face, it seemed like Ron was beginning to grow tired of her too.

I smirked as I cantered up the steps with Harry, the pesky staircase shifting just as we stepped off it and onto the landing of the seventh floor corridor. Harry held open the door for me as we trotted into the corridor, and slowed to a walk as we approached the recognizable statue of a griffin. We stopped before it, Harry clearing his throat before announcing "turkish delight!" In an instant, the statue began to shift and a stone staircase appeared, winding itself upwards with a low toned grumble. I stepped onto one of the steps and allowed myself to be lifted upwards by the staircase, remaining perfectly still even though it was enchanted not to let me fall. A broken leg would make my list of problems even longer.