poppin' champagne

"caught in the moment, but not in the right way."

***

december 31st, 2016, 11:58 pm.

violet sat by herself at the bar as she watched all the people gather around the one small tv that was in the back of this cheap bar. the air reeked of stale beer and desperation, the wooden floor creaked below everyone who was standing.

"one more minute!"

violet let out a sigh as she took her fifth shot of vodka, it burned her throat but she didn't care anymore, she just wanted to get him off her mind.

random people were screaming in the background of violet's blurry thoughts.

why did he leave me for her, why can't i ever be good enough for anyone? i'm tired of this happening over and over again.

"thirty more seconds!"

another sigh, another shot.

violet looked out the scratched glass windows to observe the mixture of sleet and snow that was currently falling from the sky, the weather was shit and so was all the alcohol around her.

"ten!"

violet looked up at the crowd of people and saw all the guys pairing up with the girls,

how stereotypical, she thought to herself.

"nine!"

the guys wrapped their arms around the girls.

"eight!"

the girls all looked at the guys and giggled.

"seven!"

almost everyone took a swig of beer.

"six!"

violet stood up from the shaking bar stool.

"five!"

violet made sure she had her bag and that everything was in it.

"four!"

she glanced back up at the crowd one more time, everyone was all goo-goo eyes.

"three!"

she started to make her way towards the door, who goes to a bar by themselves on new years eve?

"two!"

just out of violets luck, she tripped on a chair and tumbled down onto the floor.

"one!"

violet winced in pain.

"happy new years!"

and in the blink of an eye, everyone was screaming and making out and violet was forced to watch it all unfold in front of her.

several pops were heard from the crowd and multiple corks flew up,

and of course one hit violet straight on her forehead.