America Sings- Chapter 1

Start from the beginning

It’s only the first day and yet I can tell that this year was going to be terrible.

***

“Amber!” someone yells. I quickly turn around and see a tall girl with a nice lean figure hurrying towards me. She is wearing black leather boots that come up to mid shin, tucked inside are dark wash skinny jeans, her top is a white tank top and over that is a leather jacket that doesn’t go down past her ribs. Her blonde hair was straightened to perfection. This wasn’t some goth chick, this was my best friend Lia.

“Hey Lia,” I greet warmly and smile at her.

“Do you need a ride?” Lia asks and puffs out her chest. Lia turned sixteen August 3rd and got her drivers license that day. I on the other hand was fifteen and my birthday wasn’t until March 15th so driving wasn’t in the foreseeable future. It didn’t really matter though, I don’t have a car to drive anyhow.

The ride sounded a lot better than riding the bus. I was about to say yes when I remembered that Lia would also be driving home her boyfriend, Luke, who absolutely hated me and never gave me a break.

“I would say yes but I can’t,” I say sadly. Lia didn’t question this and just smiled sadly before waving and walking away towards the school parking lot.

I sigh before slamming my locker shut and I turn the other way and walk towards the bus pick up and drop off area.

When I first get out of the building I have to shield my eyes from the bright sun. The one thing that I hate about our buses is that when they park, they park at an angle so that if you don’t know where yours usually parks, you have to walk up and down the row to see the numbers. So like the idiot I am, I keep walking up and down the row not seeing bus 10.

“Excuse me, mister, but do you know where bus 10 is?” I ask the balding guy with the walkie talkie who stands off to the side.

He looks at me as if I am stupid then points towards a bus just to the left of me. I smile sheepishly before turning and walking up to it. I take a deep breath and enter the bus. Almost all of the seats are taken. I slowly walk down the aisle and scan the seats to see if any are available. I see James in the very back talking to everyone and I wish I could join him but it would just lead to my embarrassment.

I see a small girl with big glasses sitting all alone so I just slump into the seat. She looks at me strangely before going back to the book that she was reading.

More people come on to the bus and soon the bus starts up.

“Turn the music up!” someone shouts and the grumpy bus driver glares at all of us before turning on the radio and going to a random station.

The song is Country Girl and Jessica stands up and starts to sing to it.

I hate Jessica with everything I have. She is a showoff and thinks that she has the best voice ever even though it isn’t anything special. She can’t hold a high note and her voice squeaks every now and then.