America Sings- Chapter 1

Hey Guys, normally I won't recommend books unless I really like them and I am currently reading this book called Like A Boy by EmoPirateGirl. You should really check it out! Okay I won't waste and more of your time!

“Don’t trip!” David says loudly and sticks his foot out from under his desk as I walk by. I just keep my head down and step over his designer shoes.

As I walk down the long line of desks I hear pig noises being made and I know that they are directed at me.

Finally I reach my assigned spot at the back of the room. Everyone was turned and looking at me. I feel my cheeks heat up in embarrassment under their scrutinizing gaze.

It was the same every year. There was always something wrong with me; my hair, my clothes, and my shoes. Everything. No matter how hard I tried to fit in, they always excluded me. I was an outsider.

I didn’t want to meet any of their gazes and I look around nervously. My eyes eventually rest on James.

James used to be my best friend, and I guess you could say that he still was, at home anyways. We have a special relationship. At home we can talk and tell each other almost everything. I know more about him then you would think possible. But at school it’s as if we don’t even now that the other exists. He’s the jock, I’m the loser. He dates the head cheerleader, Karen, and I date… Well nobody.

“Class is now in session,” Mr. Scullen says excitedly and loudly claps his hands together. Mr. Scullen was a short man and a temper to go with it. He favors the girls and was about as old as dinosaurs.

I hear a low groan wash over the class and I have to agree.

“First off we will go around and everyone will say their name and something about them that we don’t know yet,” Mr. Scullen explains.

“That’s so elementary!” someone yells out.

“We’re sophomore’s not third graders!” someone else adds.

Mr. Scullen shoots a glare in the general direction that the voices came from before continuing. “We start with James.”

James doesn’t seem to care and smiles broadly before standing up with a flourish and saying loudly, “Hi! My name is James Stratton. I am an amazing singer and if you ever need me I’m there, Babe.” He is such a flirt.

Mr. Scullen frowns at James but nods at Adam who stands up and introduces himself. This keeps going until they reach Rachel, who is sitting in the desk next to me. I’m next! A big pang of anxiety grips my stomach. I didn’t do well in the spotlight.

After what feels like a moment I am next. I stand up a little to quickly and stumble making everyone laugh.

“Ok, um, my name is Amber Goering and, um, I like soccer…?” I say uncertainly and hastily sit down.

“Oink oink,” Rachel whispers to Demi who sits next to her. I flush in embarrassment and hid my face in my dark brown hair.