Chapter 1

"Come on Y/n!" Azula giggled pulling my arm. "Let's go see Mai and Ty Lee!"

"But I have to finish my letter to my father Azula..." I said tucking a strand of my h/c behind my ear. My father had left with General Iroh, he said they needed to discuss some business.

"Zuko's gonna be there." She said smirking as she tugged on my arm again.

I felt my cheeks heat up and a little smile appeared on my face. "I guess I could go..." I said looking at my yet to be finished letter.

"Great! Now come on to the garden!" She yelled excitedly as she pulled me out of the palace.

My father was good friends with the royal family and had asked if they could look after me since he had to leave. My mother had died a few years back so my father was the only one looking after me.

As Azula and I entered the garden I could see Mai sitting against a tree and Ty Lee doing backflips.

"Hey guys!" I greeted as Azula realised her hold on my arm.

"Y/n!" Ty Lee squealed as she cart wheeled over and crushed me in a hug. She realised her hug and cart wheeled back over to her little spot.

I look over at Mai and wave awkwardly. "Hi Mai..."

She looked up at me and glared. "Hey peasant..." she scoffed. Ty Lee gasped and Azula snickered.

I don't know why but Mai and I have never gotten along very well. I try and be friendly but she always makes it so hard.

"What have I ever don't to you!?" I yell.
Ty Lee and Azula stare at me in shock for my outburst. Mai just stands up and clenches her fists. "You exist!" She snapped.

"Well at least my existence doesn't cause sadness and sorrow unlike yours!" I snapped back. She looked at me in shock, and maybe even a little hurt.

She just stood there with her mouth open as if she was searching for a good come back. Time passed and all she did was cross her arms and slump back into the tree while mumbling, "Whatever."

It was dead silence until Ty Lee cleared her throat. "Hey no need to be gloomy! Who wants to practice some tricks with me?" She said doing a front flip.

"I guess there's nothing better to do..." Azula said shrugging and standing by Ty Lee.

As Ty Lee explained what they were going to do I looked over to see Mai looking at the ground and messing around with the grass. I sighed and sat by her; causing her to role her eyes.

"What do you want now?" She asked harshly.

"I just...wanted to apologize for what I said. It was mean and out of line." I said staring at the ground. Out if the corner of my eye she looked at me wide eyed. "I just want to know honestly, why don't you like me?" I looked back at her.

"...I guess I'm just jealous..." she mumbled as she looked away and crossed her arms. "Everyone thinks you're so nice, brave, and pretty...even Zuko."

My cheeks imdeitly turned a dark red. I didn't know if she was telling the truth but I couldn't worry about that now. I just rolled my eyes and scoffed. "Well they're all stupid."

She looked up at me confused. "What? Why?"

"Because they just described you." I said smiling.

She sat there for a few moments before smiling at me. "Really?" She asked.

"Really." I assured her. "Me, I'm just a hot headed pig." I said pushing the tip of my nose up to look like a pig. I made little pig noises as Mai actually laughed.