"Especially the senior girls."

"Exactly... Well, this prank consisted of hacking the database and creating a flyer that would go out to parents and students- saying school had been cancelled on a certain day- I don't remember why- but there was this large excuse. I printed tons of them and managed to get them sent out. Logo's for the school and electronically signed by the principal himself."

"Did it work?"

"Yeah, yep. It worked until the day of, when we left the paper on his desk and he realized that no one was coming in."

"Shit," I murmur, chuckling. "Did he find out it was you?"

"Oh, yeah. Of course. And my parents, obviously didn't care, they weren't really stuck up, they went into the school the day of and gave him a bottle of scotch- which easily ended my almost suspension since he was an absolute drunk."

"Oh my god." I laugh.

"My mother and father walked out with me and- we all went to the lake, where all the kids and parents were spending the free day."

"Wow."

He smiles softly, nodding. "It was a good day."

"They were fun parents, then?"

"Yeah, they were..." He turns suddenly and moves onto his back, sighing. "It- was a hard... to lose them."

I remove my hand from under my face and clutch his hand on his stomach, squeezing. He looks over at me, his lips turned up softly.

"I think you should talk to your mother." His confession takes me aback. I gape slightly, unsure of what to say. "I know what she did- was the worst possible thing that can be done to someone but I don't think you'll be at peace until you hear her out. Hear out why she kept the other child."

"What would change? What could she say that could change my mind?"

"I don't know. I truly don't but it will only help you to confront this head on. If what she tells you doesn't change anything and you don't want to know her, then at least you know you tried and can get some closure."

I press my face against the comforter and sigh, shaking my head. "I don't know if I have the strength to see them... to see her husband. My sister... I don't know."

"I'll go with you."

I look up from the white fabric to his face. "You will?"

He nods and turns back towards me. "Of course... And no matter what happens when you meet them, you have family with me. You'll never be alone again."

"I'm going to hold you to that," I murmur emotionally as he leans towards me, pressing his lips to mine chastely.

"Hold away."

Moving onto my elbow, I lean into him, pressing my lips to his once more, holding them there. He rests his hand on my hair as I pull back, smiling.

"Alright, tell me more."

...

Oli, the key is in my desk. It's a red one- that should get the door open.

I press send as Stellan walks into the room, carrying plates.

"I caught you."

I tuck the phone away and roll my eyes. "I told Oli she could text me if she needed help."

"You know what I wonder?"

"What?"

"Why you didn't think to hire her before instead of looking for a new assistant?"