Chapter 11

"WHEN YOU CAME FOR ME, you knew I was in trouble," Jane tells Thor as they walk along the terrace outside the palace.

Since they left Odin, she'd been given the chance to change into Asgardian clothing and reflect on everything the Allfather had told them. He told them that there are relics that pre-date the universe itself, and that - apparently - Jane has one of them within her. Mentioning the Dark Elves, creatures born of eternal night, Thor and Odin told her about how they sought to destroy the Nine Realms and herald an eternal darkness.

Their leader, Malekith, made a weapon out of the darkness called the Aether. Odin's father, Bor, finally defeated him - ushering in a peace that lasted thousands of years - and killing the Dark Elves. The Aether was said to be destroyed, but here it is. Inhabiting her body.

To say that it's a lot to absorb in a short amount of time would be the understatement of the millennium.

"Heimdall had lost sight of you," Thor explains. "You were no longer on Earth."

They stop near an ornate marble railing overlooking the water. Jane turns toward Thor, "Well, how's that possible?"

"I believe you were and you weren't," he tells her. "The Nine Realms travel within Yggdrasil, orbiting Midgard much the way your planets orbit the sun."

He takes her hand, pressing their palms together, as he continues, "And every 5,000 years the worlds align perfectly, and we call this the Convergence."

Their fingers align, and Jane stares at him with wide eyes.

"During this time, the borders between worlds become blurred. It's possible you found one of these points. We are lucky that it remained open," Thor twists their hands so their fingers are no longer matched up. "Once the worlds pass out of alignment, then the connection is lost."

His fingers capture her hand as they stare at one another for a moment, until he leans forward to press a kiss against Jane's lips. It's gentle, yet passionate, and she pulls away for a moment to smile up at him.

"I like the way you explain things," she mutters. "What's gonna happen to me?"

"I'll find a way to save you, Jane," Thor promises, still clutching her delicate hand.

She shakes her head, "Your father said there was--"

"My father," he interrupts. "Doesn't know everything."

"Don't let him hear you say that," A voice interrupts their intimate moment, and they both turn to see Frigga approaching them from inside.

The queen wears a warm smile on her face as she watches her son, happy to know that he seems to have found love at last. After her encounter with Loki in the dungeons, she kept to her chambers until her mood could improve, only to be interrupted by Anna's visit. She was beyond happy to see the young Midgardian woman, the one who brought her troubled son so much joy, and now she was thrilled to see that Thor seems to have done the same.

"Jane Foster," Thor says with a smile as he takes both of Jane's hands to lead her forward. "Please meet Frigga, Queen of Asgard. My mother."

Jane gasps, tugging her hands out of Thor's and taking a step away from him. Her cheeks are burning red, embarrassed to have been discovered in such a close position with him, and nods.

"Hi," she says, uncertain of what to say to Frigga.

Frigga smiles, her eyes sparkling with delight.

"Your friend is here as well," she tells them. "Anna?"

"Oh my god," Jane stutters, flustered. "I completely forgot about her. Where is she?"

Thor laughs, and Frigga waves her hand, "She is fine. It is not her first visit to Asgard, and I hope it is not her last."

*****
Loki

Reluctantly pulling away from Anna, Loki says nothing and turns his back on her while pacing the small area of his cell. The guard watches impatiently, even going as far as clearing his throat, but Loki shoots him a glare. Even though he is trapped in this gods forsaken prison, his reputation is enough to cause the guard to swallow heavily. Anna sighs, shaking her head, as she watches him.

"Go," he tells her, sitting on the small cot pushed against the far wall. "I will still be here when you return."

His words have a sarcastic edge to them, and he is certain that she will scold him for harboring such a resentment for his father. It was not his intention to snap at her, but his temper grows thin in these four walls, and even her presence does little to console him. Unfortunately.

Lowering himself to the mattress, he rests his head on his arm and crosses his feet. There is a small cup sitting on the table next to the bed, so he snatches it up and begins tossing it in the air above him. Anything to distract himself from the tiny brunette watching him with disappointment etched across her lovely features.

"Loki," she begins before biting her lip, unsure of what to say to convince him.

He tosses the cup again, hating every minute of their interaction as he ignores her. She said that he isn't a monster, but she cannot see the truth. She hasn't seen the truth. If she had, he is certain that she would not be in this very room with him today. No, she would stay far away from him - from Asgard - as she rightfully should. He loves her more than he's loved anything, even his own life, but that means he must do all that he can to protect her from the monsters in the dark. From himself.

The guard moves toward the cell to lower the forcefield when Anna nods at him, but the sound of shouts and banging draws his attention away. A cacophony of voices erupts within the dungeon, plunging the prisoners into chaos. The lights flicker, and Loki lowers the cup to listen as Anna watches through the forcefield. Rising to his feet, he crosses the tiny space to stand next to her and - ignoring his better judgement - laces his arm around her waist protectively.

"What's happening?" Anna asks, turning her blue eyes to meet his emerald ones.

An explosion sounds, followed by a hideous roar, and she shudders. Curling her into his chest, he holds her flush against him while the sickening pounding continues. He can hear the sound of guards rushing into the fray, whatever it may be, only to hear screams of pain followed by the sound of something shattering. It happens again and again, the shouts of the prisoners increasing in intensity each time, until the group in the cell across from him is freed and joins the gruesome battle between prisoners and guards.

"Get back," he says sharply to Anna, pulling her away from the forcefield.

The sound of heavy footsteps approaching his cell cause both of them to turn, and Loki's eyes narrow at the sight of an horned beast walking up the steps to his cell. Easily taller than most men, armored and disfigured into some creature he's never seen before, he pushes Anna back toward the bed while taking a step toward the beast with a look of curiosity. It watches him carefully, pondering for a moment whether to free the raven-haired man from his prison. Loki's heart pounds heavily in his chest, the corners of his mouth twitching into a grin at the prospect of his freedom - the chance to escape with Anna, to inflict his revenge on Odin and Thor - but the monster grunts and walks away from the cell.

"You might want to take the stairs to the left," Loki advises the beast, who turns back to look at him.

Although Loki would like nothing more than to facilitate Odin's downfall, perhaps this creature might do it for him.

Now Playing: "Uprising" by Muse.