Chapter One x

I breathe in heavily, my nerves over coming me. Katniss held my free hand as my other held the nightlock.

"You sure we should do this?" I ask. She nods.

"On three," she whispers. I shiver and nod. She looks out to the trees.

"One."

I watch and touch her hair and face.

"Two," I say. Please stop this. Please.

They'll stop it. They'll have no victor if they don't.

Then don't do it Peeta. Stop this now.

"Three," we say. I lift the berries to my mouth but I stop when the speaker goes on.

"Wait! Wait-"but that's all Cesar can say. A cannon booms and Katniss falls to the floor, letting my hand go.

"No," I whisper. I lean down to her. "No!"

She's not breathing. She ate the berries. Why?

If only they stopped us a second before. Why? Why?

"Ladies and gentleman, welcome our victor of the 74th Hunger Games. Peeta Mellark."

No. I think. No!

I pick up Katniss and lay her head on my lap. I let my tears fall as my love slowly loses everything.

What do I do?

The berries. The berries! I reached for them but I felt hands on me. I struggled to remove them and go back to Katniss, but the peacekeepers were too strong.

I was placed in a hovercraft. I was screaming my head off.

"KATNISS! KATNISS!" I scream. Nothing comes after my voice. It echoes through the whole craft until my vision blurs and it becomes black.