"You're good Ari, we're gonna head out", Kiki asked.

"She's good", I replied for her.

They said their goodbyes and walked out the room.

"You really should go now, he'll be here to pick me up any minute", she said gathering her things.

"I'll wait with you."

We started to talk and ended up talking about our childhood. To our surprise, our convo lasted for about an hour.

"It's been an hour you're sure he's coming?"

She took out her phone and began to text. I assume it was that Carnell dude. About two minutes later, she let out a groan.

"What's wrong baby girl?"

"He's caught up, he can't get me. He told me to walk home. He could at least have the decency to call."

"A girl like you shouldn't be walking anywhere. I'll give you a ride, where do you live?"

"On the Southside, but I'm not going home. I need to go to the hospital, Treemont."

"I'll drive you there, come on."

The car ride was quiet. I can tell she was still upset from her dude's lack of interest. I wanted to question her about her urgent visit to the hospital, but decided against it. We arrived at the hospital and I found a parking spot.

"Thanks for the ride", she said getting out.

I open up the door and begin to follow her inside.

"You don't have to wait for me. I don't want to mess up your day."

"I'm good baby girl", I replied. "I have no plans today."

"Ok."

I followed her upstairs and to a room. There was a guy lying in bed with tubes all over. He was only a few years older than Ariel. I stood in the doorway and watched how she interacted with him, so loving and sweet. He turned towards me before he began to talk again.

"Who is that", he asked.

"That's Dustin...he's sort of a friend of mine", she replied with a smile.

"Sort of", he said puzzled. "Hey why don't you come in and grab a seat man."

I did so nervously and sat on the other side of the bed.

"Dustin this is my brother Brice", Ariel said introducing us.

I shook his hand lightly.

"Dude its ok, I'm dying not contagious", Brice joked. "I'm not in the predicament to be on my big brother status and interrogate you either.

We both laughed.

"There you go loosen up some", he said. "So does this mean you finally got away from Carnell", he asked Ariel.

She looked down before she spoke.

"He made me quit the club. I can't afford to pay your bills now."

"Well that's one good thing he ever did, I didn't want you working there no ways."

"What about money", she asked.

"You're a smart girl, I'm sure you will figure it out. I'm ok babe. I wish you would worry more about you then me, starting with leaving Carnell."

We stayed there for about two hours. Brice was telling me funny stories about him and Ariel growing up. We were enjoying ourselves until Ariel's phone went off. She stepped outside and into the hallway and returned five minutes later.

"I have to go, I'll be back Friday", she said kissing Brice on the cheek.

"It was nice meeting you man", I said to Brice shaking his hand more firmly.

"You too Dustin, thanks for bringing her."

"Not a problem."

We begin to walk towards the door before Brice called out to me.

"Make sure you take care of her."

"You have my word."

———

"If you don't mind me asking, what's wrong with Brice?"

We just pulled up in front of Ariel's house and were parked on the street.

"He's dying from Cancer. The doctors said he only has three months left. So I've been hustling to make sure his final days are as pain free as possible. I sold my car, working at the club...it was all for him. I don't know how I'm gonna come up with 10 grand for his expenses."

She had tears in her eyes. I grabbed her hand and held it tightly.

"Our parents died in a car accident when I was younger. Brice always took care of me, we were always close. He's all the family I have, the only one that really cares for me."

"He's not the only one."

I leaned in and kissed her. Her lips were so soft. After a minute she pushed me away.

"We can't", she said looking away.

"Why are you with him anyway? You deserve so much better."

"He wasn't always that way", she replied. "He was good to me. He just got a lot going on that's all."

"I'm here for you whenever you need me", I said. "All you gotta do is say the word."

"I'll keep that in mind."

While I gave her my number, her dude pulls up in the driveway.

"I-I gotta go, thanks again."

She rushes out the car and meets him midway to the front porch. He starts yelling at her, I assume about me. He begins to shake her violently and I get out the car.

"Is there a problem", I yell walking up to them.

"Get your yellow ass back in the car, this don't concern you."

"It looks like my problem to me."

"I'm fine Dustin, honestly."

Her voice was low. I don't know if she was trying to convince me or herself. I was just hoping he would make a move to give me an excuse to whoop his ass.

"See we're good", he said with a smirk on his face. "Go inside."

Ariel walks up the stairs and into the house.

"I'll be seeing you around", he said to me with this cold look in his eyes.

Something about his eyes, that stare, it was like he was foreshadowing the future. I just knew this thing would end badly. Just didn't know how serious then.

I got into my car and saw that I missed two calls from Tyeisha. She then text me telling me to come home, she had something important to talk to me about. Just what I needed now Tyeisha and her bullshit drama. I wonder which hood rat saw me now. If it has anything to do with me being with Ariel, at least they were right for a change.