2. "What gifts have you been given?"

Start from the beginning

“Because father, today Peter will leave his family and come live with me and mine, and thus, he will no longer be able to protect them.  As well, once my student Haze has attended to your wounds, you will no longer need a trip to the hospital.” Fr. Maven said effectively quieting Peter, his family, the priest and even the two men he had come with.  Fr. Maven looked at the boy, who seemed to be the least surprised in the room, and asked, “What gifts have you been given?”

Peter did not answer, but turned to look at his father, who only confusedly shook his head in return; not understanding what he was truly being asked.  Peter turned back to Fr. Maven, “The control of fire.”

“Then how did you kill the wolf, Peter?  There was no fire.” Haze asked as he too made it back to the group around the altar.

“I’ve learned to use heat without fire practicing on juice boxes to make them blow up.  I just did that to the wolf.”

Fr. Maven turned to the grunting man, who grunted and said with a mild smirk, “He boiled him to a pop.”

Peter looked worried, and Fr. Maven noticed this.  “You have done nothing wrong Peter.  Actually you defended you sister and parents against an attacker my party and I would find trouble in defeating as a group.”  Peter just starred silent.  “You should feel proud Peter.  You have honored and protected your family.” Fr. Maven said.

Peter just looked down at Margaret for a second, and then back at Fr. Maven.  Fr. Maven noticed this and made a mental note, and continued, “My friends and I noticed that when you stepped in front of the beast to attack you specifically extended three fingers.  Can you tell me why you did this?”  This caught Peter’s attention and his eyes widened as if someone had discovered a secret of his.  “It’s okay.  I said you have done nothing wrong Peter.”  Peter’s eyes darted around a little bit until his just bowed his head in front of Fr. Maven.

“I can’t use all my fingers,” Peter answered.

Fr. Maven, Haze, and the third in the party (affectionately known as Hell-Proof) inhaled deeply through their noses, straightened up, and starred at each other all with looks of unsure intrigue at Peter’s answer.

“Well,” Peter said sounding as if to reassure the group, “I have once… but it was painful and I injured myself.  I feel I will be able to as I get bigger… as I get stronger.”  He turned to his parents who were just listening to the group’s conversation completely baffled.  “When Margaret and I were attacked outside that one night.”  The mother and father lowered their gaze as they recalled the time.

“What attacked you then?” Fr. Maven asked.

Peter turned and pointed, “A pack of wolves… like him.”

“Werewolves,” Fr. Maven corrected.  Haze and Hell-Proof starred at each other with eyes wide.  Fr. Maven continued, “You say you and your sister were outside at night.”  

Peter only nodded a bit, and then locked his stare on his sister.

“Was the moon full?” Fr. Maven asked.

Peter only nodded again, not taking his eyes off of his sister.  He had an expression of growing discomfort on his face.

“And how did you and your sister escape?”

“I killed them,” Peter answered.

“All of them?!” Hell-Proof asked impulsively.

“All of them.”

Fr. Maven just exhaled slowly out pursed lips as he began calculating the facts as quickly as he could.   He started simple, “As I just said the beast before you is a werewolf, and is the single most powerful enemy my group and I face.”