chapter twenty-six: [i hate you]

Start from the beginning

    "Do you know if he's coming tonight?" Allison raised her eyebrows.

"Everyone's coming." Lydia squeaked. She pulled out another dress, and hummed in pleasure.

     "American rag. I love it. For me, not you, Allison." She smiled, before dropping it and pulling out another one. "This one's Material Girl. It's for you. And Indigo, yours is. . . "

A knock sounded and Allison's Mom walked in, a short smile on her face. Lydia gleamed.

   "Mrs. Argent." She smiled. "What do you think of this one?" She asked, holding up a dress.

"Oh, it's lovely." She nodded stiffly, looking to Allison again. "Allison, uh, can I grab you for a moment to talk? Just- the two of us?"

       "Um, can we do it later?" Allison asked.

"Uh, actually, to be honest, sooner would be- would be better." She nodded.

    "Party's at 10." Lydia nodded.

"Um, will you be around before then?" Her mom asked.

      "I think so." Allison shrugged.

"You think so." She reiterated.

"I don't know." Allison groaned, shrugging again.

   Her mom nodded softly, and left slowly, leaving us to our own. Lydia held up a dress to Allison, smiling. Lydia let her grab it, before grabbing a necklace and layering it.

"I think I like it." Allison smiled.

      "You like it?" Lydia smiled happily. "Yeah, I do."

"Happy birthday." Allison brought up, looking to Lydia.

        "Oh, thank you." She answered. "I actually appreciate that."

 Allison and I laughed with her. And it felt good to laugh.

˛

            10:00. The party. Obviously, sooner or later it was going to roll around. But- I was hoping for later.

    Lydia had me in a short floral dress and some little heels.

   I walked through the front door with Allison, Lydia smiling when we entered. Allison walked in and I followed her, all the way to the backyard. The pool had strung lights above it and tables with food and drinks everywhere.

      "They're here." Allison nudged me. My eyes widened because I knew exactly who she was talking about.

"Go talk to them!" I hissed.

       "Wha- Indigo. You guys need to talk." She pleaded. I pursed my lips and shook my head.

"I'm- going to go talk to that punch bowl over there." I nodded, rushing away. I made it to the table, putting my hands on it as I looked down to the white cloth. I just- couldn't look. What if we made eye contact? He probably hates me. Doesn't even want to be in the same party as me. Did he even know I was going to be here?