chapter 21.

The next day after school, my mom and I were settled to leave. Jaylen had just left a few minutes ago. We were both in the car and backing out of our home's driveway and on the road, heading to Virginia. I grabbed the aux cord and had plugged it in my phone.

"Before you start blasting your music, how about talking to your momma for a little bit," she says. I looked up at her and her eyes were focused on the door.

"Okay? About what?" I asked.

"You don't talk to me about you and jaylen. Are y'all a down-low couple?" She asked me.

"I don't consider that we are. I'm sure people know, but I don't really know. It don't matter to me if they know or not," I say.

"Mm. Are you going to miss him?"

"Mhm." I nodded my head. "But, momma. Ain't it weird that we about to go my daddy?"

"No. It's probably weird to you because you don't know him."

My momma was so straightforward with it. This shit honestly heartbreaking. I didn't say anything. I just unlocked my phone and opened spinrilla. I went to my playlists and chose kodak. I pressed the shuffle button and Like Dat came on. What a coincidence this plays and this is jaylen's favorite song. I closed out of spinrilla and went to snapchat. I waited for the camera to load as I press and hold on my face. I decided to use the dog filter everyone hates. It made me look cute, so I didn't care what folks had to say about it. I start to record myself rapping along with him.

"Why you keep that tool like that? Why you move like that? I hit the club fifty deep."

"How you get so high like that? Why your eyes like that? 'Cause I put Molly in my lean."

I could see my momma rapping, also, from the corner of my eye and grinned. I turned down the music and watched the snap. My eyes were glistening from the sun and my skin looked clear. I added a filter before adding a caption.

this yo song right??

Instead of sending it to my story, I decided to send it to jaylen personally. Once it delivered, I locked my phone and turned the music back up. We were turning on the highway to Virginia and the heat was blowing in my face. I looked in the backseat to see if I could find my blanket, but I didn't see it.

"Damn," I mumbled to myself. Like Dat had came off and Get Up starting playing. This was one of my favorites. Too bad I couldn't really rap to it because he cursed too much in it and I don't cuss in front of my mom. My phone vibrated and I looked down at it as it sat on my lap. Jaylen had replied to my snap. I quickly looked at it and started giggling. Though I couldn't hear it, I could tell he was also rapping to it with a blunt in between his fingers. How could he be smoking already? The caption had said, you already know. I saved the video to my phone and started typing. A few minutes later, my momma complained about the music I was playing so I just took the aux cord out of my phone and plugged in my headphones. She took over the radio while I talked to jaylen. We've been driving for about ten minutes and it felt like forever. After replying to jaylen, I turned to my side and warmed my hands with my thighs. I eventually had fallen asleep.

I had slept for about four hours. Whenever I woke up, we were at a gas station. I looked to my left and seen that my mom wasn't seating there so she must've been in the store. I looked around and we were definitely not in our home town. I didn't know where we were, but I hope we were in Virginia already. This drive was boring as hell. I turned the key in the ignition and rolled down my window a little bit. The sky was getting dark and it looked pretty outside. It was a little chilly, but not much. My mom had walked out of the store with a bag in her hand. I rolled up my window as she had got inside. She sat down then glanced at me.