Valentine Curiosity

We entered the woods, and were walking for a really long time. I didn't realize how far away this place was. It was a cold day, it was always cold here but today seemed worse than usual, and much more windy. I felt a little nervous. I had barely been out of Dr. Finkelstein's lab, and never out of town. Although, I was glad to have Jack by my side.

"We're almost there." Jack said. We walked a little longer until I noticed, a few trees forming a circle, all with different paintings on them. We stepped in the center of the circle that the giant trees were making. I kept spinning in circles, looking at every painting, astonished. They were all so different. Some paintings were so unusual I had no clue what they meant. A bird like creature with very big and colorful feathers. A green, flower of some sort? I also saw the tree that lead to Christmas land, Jack was right, it was very beautiful. I can see where his curiosity lead him to that. Although, my curiosity landed somewhere else.

The big, beautiful, red heart. I stared at it amazed. Red is my favorite color. It's also one of the only paintings that made sense to me. I knew what a heart was of course. Jack probably thinks I'm silly with that face he's giving me. Why would something so basic catch my eye? The Christmas tree that caught his eye had many colors and decorations on it. My tree just had a plain old heart. Somehow it just made me feel warm. I felt myself asking him questions before I could stop myself.

"Jack, what happened when you walked through the door?"

"I more like fell..."

"Were you scared?"

"No, I was amazed, and curious. It's so beautiful there. You see how the painting is very pretty, well inside it is a million times better."

I noticed him start to frown. It was obvious Jack still had a place in his heart for Christmas land.

"That's the only door you ever went through?" I asked while looking at the heart door.

"It was so much to handle from being there for a few minutes that it's all I could think about. I didn't even care about these other doors."

We went silent for awhile.

"Nothing bad happened in Christmas land though right?"

Jack gave me an odd face.

"You remember everything that happened." He stated, trying to remind me I suppose. Of course I remember it was only a few days ago.

"Well yes, but I mean the first time you went, when you only visited."

Jack seemed uneasy but as he talked I saw him trying to fight off a smile.

"No, nothing bad happened that time. Only good things. Great things."

I couldn't take my eyes off this red door. I felt it pulling me towards it. Every creature in the world has some curiosity, and different things affect different people. Jack just stood patiently as I pondered over everything that was going on.

"Jack..." I said quietly but serious. My seriousness made him look a little nervous. "What if we just visit one for a little..." I asked openly.

He put his hand on his skull and looked toward the ground full of fallen leaves. He didn't say anything for awhile, and I didn't bug him to answer me. I felt the tension in the air.

"To be honest with you Sally, I'm afraid." He said in a soft tone, which made me blush at an inappropriate moment to be blushing. Maybe it was the way he said my name. Maybe it was that he was sharing his feelings with me. That simple sentence just sounded so sweet. I pulled myself together and said "I understand Jack, we can go home now, if that's what you want." Oh no. I tried to say that as normal as possible but I couldn't fight off my sad tone. I wanted to know a place other than Halloween town. I've been trapped there for so long, miserably. The only thing that made me happy was Jack, even before he knew it. I shouldn't have asked that. When he agreed to bring me here I clearly said I just wanted to see. I didn't think anything like this would happen. Why is this door drawing me in? I need to stop.