Chapter Two

Mulai dari awal

"There are people who may know how to get there." The accountant started to pull the book away from Vipa. "Though they may be busy at the moment." Snatching the log from the accountant, Vipa scanned the pages and absorbed the names. If Lady Luck - the greatest divinity of fortune - favored her, then one of those captains would have the knowledge and guts to assist her. "Just out of curiosity, what would lead you to a place like that?"

"Hunting." Vipa's eyes stayed on the words, balancing on thin tightropes. "There's prey I wish to finish off."

"No doubt you can find it elsewhere," suggested the accountant. Patting a map on the wall, his cheery smile belied the terror in his eyes. Sweat caused his hand to stick to the paper. "The Nērānni vāṭini are to be left alone. There is a reason why the divine punished and sealed them away."

"So where can I find those people?" Having heard the same argument before, Vipa gave the man an innocent smile.

Sighing in defeat, the accountant offered directions. With a polite thank you, the huntress dashed off. She first stopped at the guide's house, but the time of day worked against her. Hours of exploring the town and asking people finally directed her to the captain. At the tavern, an angel choked on his ale when asked the question.

"So?" Vipa offered a sweet, enticing grin.

"Send somebody else to hell," said the angel as he stood. "I've fought demons, sea monsters, and even in the Last Great War, but I will not commit suicide!" Vipa tried to say more, but the angel batted her away with a wing. Landing in a merman's lap, the huntress growled in frustration.

"Hello, babe!" whistled the merman. "Want to join me for tonight? I know an underwater cave perfect for chilling out."

A frowning Vipa flicked two of her fingers. Beer from the merman's glass sprayed out and stung him in the eyes. Bitter tears followed her out the door.

At the shipyard, a female mermaid sitting on the deck laughed her off. "Lady," said the mermaid, "I am on standby for the Barrol Alliance's Navy. If I try to ditch them, they'll hang me for desertion." She then leapt into the water to make repairs on a ship hull. Frustration almost convinced Vipa to jump into the water after the mermaid. Logic won out. Despite her skills in water bending, Vipa was still human. She would be a waterlogged corpse long before the mermaid needed to get out of the water.

Back in town, a demon gave her an odd look. "Tragun? You mean that island that tried to overthrow the gods? Miss, I'm not even sure if that legend still exists. Why don't you join the navy? That should get rid of unnecessary energy."

"Coward!" snarled Vipa. That startled the demon. "If it's just a legend then you can endure it." The demon fled instead and she was forced to resume her search.

Vipa kept up her search until her last choice slammed a door in her face. Growling in frustration, the huntress plopped in front of the door. Her piercing gaze set innocent people into flight. She unsheathed her blade and drew it across the ground. A smiling turtle with a tree on its back joined the huntress for a chat.

"I'll just return tomorrow and ask again. Maybe if I get on their nerves..." She glanced up to the skies. The red sun made its way to the sea to be drowned. Slapping the side of her head, Vipa petted the turtle with a toe. "No, that won't work. Cowards; the whole bunch of them. Not like Mr. Murderer."

Good luck finding anyone to guide you to Tragun. I threatened somebody to even lead me to the area.

A wicked grin crossed Vipa's face. If Mr. Murderer forced a soul, then a rescue should make an angel more than happy to assist her. One spell she knew could probably ensure the shady character's loyalty. Bolting to her feet, she darted over to the nearest person and almost bowled him over - easy to do with a three foot being. She grabbed the startled fairy by the shoulder.