Territory Report

Territory Report

I made it to the house before any of the guys. It looked like some forgotten victorian gothic mansion with a wrap-around porch. The house stood alone at the end of a long dirt driveway in the centre of the forest. Paint peeled from the wood paneling while carved gargoyles stared down from the roof with empty eyes. Creepy right? But it was home, the safe haven for my pack.

The door swung open before I reached the top of the steps leading to the porch. There stood my father with his signature scowl. He looked young for his fifty-two years but we werewolves aged really slowly once we reached maturity, so he only looked like he was in his late twenties early thirties. His dark blonde hair was combed neatly and his clothes were pristine. He skewered me with his ice coloured eyes.

"Skylar. Why are you alone?" he demanded, blocking the doorway.

"The guys had to go get their clothes. Has miriam made breakfast?"

Miriam was the maid my father kept around to do the cooking and cleaning. She was also my nanny when I was a child. She knew about our secret but it didn't scare her. Infact, she believes werewolves are guardians of the forest, sent to earth by God to keep nature in balance.

"Yes. You shouldn't travel alone Skylar, I'll talk to Jake."

I rolled my eyes at him, "I'm not a child father, I can look after myself."

"Sky-"

I cut him off, "Yes I'm the only female werewolf in this country. I know, but the guys are fine with me around them. So why wouldn't other wolves?"

He looked dead serious, "Wolves need mates. The wolves in this pack have been raised around female werewolves. Your mother, then you. Not all wolves have had that luxury. They may not know how to... handle the wolf side when they smell a female."

I sighed and shook my head, "Thanks for the pep talk dad, now excuse me. I'm going to get some food."

He opened his mouth to say something else but my stomach's growl cut him off. He turned on his heel and stalked off. I growled a few chosen cuss words beneath my breath and headed down the hallway towards the kitchen at the end.

Miriam turned as I stormed into the kitchen and parked my butt on a chair the furthest away from my father. The breakfast table was piled high with food like always.

Miriam was a short, slighty overweight woman with kind brown eyes and dark hair shot through with grey. She was ten years younger than my father and having helped raise me, we were close.

"What's wrong honey?" she asked, placing yet another plate of fresh steaming pancakes onto the table.

"Oh the usual," I muttered,  casting a dark look towards my father as he ate his breakfast.

"Now now you two, I won't be having any arguments over my breakfast table."

I saluted her, "Yes ma'am."

She smiled at me, "You better eat something before those men get here or you'll starve."

She didn't have to tell me twice. I pulled a plate full of pancakes over to me, grabbed a fork and dug in. The pancakes tasted divine, just like all of Miriam's cooking.

All of us have very high metabolisms so we have to eat a lot of food to stay healthy. I'm sure girls around the world would be envious of the fact that I could eat whatever I wanted and never, ever get fat.

I heard someone outside and immediately recognised the footfalls.

"Will and David are here," I announced for Miriam and my father nodded like I was speaking to him.