Chapter 19; Getting Her Back

Start from the beginning

Behind Tony, were the rest of the Avengers. Steve was outside of the fancy black Audi, casually leaning against it. He wore a plaid shirt with kakis. Natasha, leaning against the hood of the car, wore her red shirt and beige jacket with black pants and black heels. Thor, the god of thunder, sat in the passenger seat gazing out the window. Clint was in a separate car parked across the street. He had the convertible hood down and Bruce sat beside him in the passenger.

"Tony?" Maggie asked in shock.

"Hey, kid," he smirked at her.

"What-what are you doing here?" She asked, peaking at the rest of the Avengers.

"Oh, I just came to drop off my first child support check." He replied casually.

When she remained wordless he quickly realized that she didn't get the joke.

"Ha, kidding," he quickly covered. "I really came back because.....because I want you to live with me Maggie. I want to take care of you."

She narrowed her eyes at him. "If you wanted to take care of me, then why did you get rid of me?"

"Well, I didn't really want to take care of you in the beginning..." He trailed off.

Maggie's jaw dropped and she glared at him.

"Uh, no! That's not what I meant. I uh-" Tony was cut off when the door opened wider to reveal Kathy holding the baby in her arms.

"Tony? What are you doing here?" She asked.

"I'm-"

"You're here to take Maggie back, aren't you?" Kathy's voice softened.

"Yes, I know what I said before, but this time I'm ready." He stated quietly.

She took a step back and beckoned him inside. He squeezed past her and into the house.

****************

Maggie held the red, white and blue shield in her arms. She pretended to beat up invading aliens, and she blocked the hits of their own. Cap had given her his shield to play with while Kathy and Stark talked some things over.

Maggie and her cousins were in the back yard playing with the Avengers. Natasha, Steve and Thor were all playing all along, while Clint and Bruce were sitting on the lawn furniture.

Tony sat underneath the porch overhang with the older woman. Their voices came out in quiet, hushed sounds.

"I want her back,." Stark looked into her eyes.

"You can't- no. You can't just show up on my porch and ask for her. No, that's not how it works." Kathy shook her head as her fingers massaged her temples.

"Look, I know I'm not your favorite person right now-"

"No, not at all."

"-but, I really think I can do this. I've turned over a new leaf. I'm ready to be....responsible." Saying that world felt foreign on his tongue.

"You don't know anything about raising a kid." She glanced at the Avengers playing in the green yard. Thor was currently trying to fit in the plastic, princess play-place castle.