Chapter 1

As I was sitting in the living room, I was replaying the last 12 hours in my head over and over again. Twelve hours ago I had two officers staring at me letting me know that both my parents and my little brother had been killed in an accident off the interstate they drove on every single day. After two hours of inconsolable crying, my aunt showed up to be with me and not too much longer than that, my two best friends and the rest of my family.

Now to the present, I was sitting on the couch staring out the picture window and onto the car my parents had just given me for graduating from college. My father was so proud of me for getting into Harvard for medical school; it was always our dream. He went there and I was going to go too. But now it was a nightmare. How could I go to my father's school with him no longer by my side? I hated the car I had fallen in love with the day before. I hated this house that was once my home yesterday. I loathed myself for not being in that car with them because they were here yesterday and now I'm alone today.

"Rose, sweetie, can you hear me?" I heard my aunt ask. My best friends were standing next to her watching in like I was going to snap and go loony at any second. All I could do was look at them before I turned my attention back to the window, back onto that car. As much as it sucked to know that car didn't even make a dent into our finances, it still hurt knowing they had bought me something I so desperately wanted. My father had told me know, that it was too expensive to have when I was 18 and here I was at 21 with the car I had always dreamed off. Next to my new car, sat the Jeep Cherokee I had before. The one that my brother was joy riding in last night when my parents had told him he could have it since I no longer needed it.

He helped me pick out that Jeep when my parents bought it for me 4 years ago. He drove it all the time whenever he wanted to go to the beach with his friends. Next to the Jeep sat my brother's over-sized black Dodge Ram. And next to his Ram sat my father's vintage black Mustang. The only thing missing was my mother's Mercedes Benz, the one my family was crushed inside of early this morning. I couldn't look past that stupid white car though. The one with big red bow still attached to the hood. That white BMW M4 convertible sat very pretty in the driveway, but it was just so painful to see it, knowing it was the last gift I would ever get from my parents and they had wanted to wait until my graduation to give it to me.

I finally looked back at my Aunt and bit the inside of my lip to stop myself from crying again. "I don't want to be here anymore. I want to get away from this house." I stood up and looked at my best friends. "Can we go somewhere? Away from here, please?" I was begging them and they knew it. The look on both their faces told me they understand. I looked at my aunt and sobbed. "I can't be in this house. I can look at all of their things. I was so happy here yesterday with them and now I'm here by myself. It hurts so bad Aunt Michelle," I was sobbing uncontrollably.

Claire wrapped her arms around me while Paige wrapped her arms around both of us. My aunt was staring at our embrace; she knew I needed the space. "Alright, go on. I'll stay here and deal with things. The wake is going to be tomorrow evening and the funeral the morning after. I expect you to be at both," she told me. I could tell she had been doing nothing by crying and I felt bad for making her do thing alone, but I couldn't stay in that house. She didn't live here with all of the memories. The happy memories I currently felt stabbing me in the back.

"Come on Rose, we're going to get you out of here," Paige whispered. We left at 5pm and as promised, I attended the wake and the funeral, but as soon as the funeral ended on Thursday morning, I left. I said my goodbyes to Paige, Claire, and my Aunt Michelle and then I left. Traveling from Malibu, California to Boston, Massachusetts wasn't the best experience, but as soon as my flight landed and the truck arrived at my new condo with my belongings I was a little bit calmer than I was a few days prior.