0.2

A/N I DONT LIVE IN FLORIDA AND I DONT KNOW HOW IT WORKS but that's ok this is fiction so shhh

❂❂❂
6:08am

My eyes fluttered open, and I slowly sat up, resting my elbows behind me on my mattress. I glanced at the clock, finding that it was 6:08am.

"Did I actually sleep the whole night?" I Yawned, swinging my legs over the side of the bed.

I didn't feel like sleeping in anymore anyways.

Changing from my sweatpants and t-shirt, I
threw on a pair of Nike shorts and a gray hoodie. I walked into my bathroom, pulling out my bag of toiletries from beside my sink and throwing it on the counter.

I glanced in the mirror, noting that I really need to start getting more sleep. I quickly brushed my teeth, washed my face, and threw my hair up into a messy bun. I headed downstairs, into the kitchen.

There weren't many options for breakfast, so I just threw together a bowl of watermelon and chopped bananas. Sighing, I turned around, leaning my back against the counter and eating my bowl of fruit. I looked out the window, studying the dimly lit backyard area. There was a hot tub next to a huge pool, with a fake rock structure surrounding it.

Now that I'm actually thinking about it, this whole 'moving' thing is terrifying. School just ended, and I'm just now moving to Florida. How the hell am I supposed to make friends? Isn't everyone in Florida like, really tan and pretty? I'm not very good at living up to other peoples' standards. Even though mine are extremely high.

Sighing, I decided to take a walk and finally check out the beach, since it was pouring last night I wouldn't have been able to actually enjoy it- or see it, for that matter.

I grabbed a spare piece of paper and a pen from the corner of the counter, writing a note to my parents in case they woke up before I got back.

Unlocking the sliding glass door, I took a step out into the early air. The temperature was perfect. There wasn't a cloud in the sky, but it was still cool outside. I silently applauded myself for deciding on a hoodie instead of a t-shirt, since I probably would've been too lazy to go back inside.

I unlatched the gate on the fence surrounding our rather large backyard. Although our house was beachfront, the landscapers apparently decided we needed more privacy, so they jacked up the yard with shrubbery so you could only really see the ocean if you were on the upper level of the house, which, luckily, is where my room was.

When I finally reached the outside of the trees, I saw the ocean and breathed in the salty air. Kicking my shoes off, I made my way towards the water, digging my toes in the sand with each step. I hate sand so much, but I would rather not have it flung onto the back of my legs ever time I took a step, so this is the alternative.

I reached the water, dipping my toes in, but quickly retracting them due to the cold water. I pulled my sweatshirt sleeves over my hands, looking around to take in my surroundings. The grand houses of the neighborhood were side by side, yet they were all separated by yards of ornate gardening and expensive-looking shrubbery.

The neighborhood was lengthy, but our house was toward the end. Looking down the length of the shore, I could see hotels lining the beach in the distance, but it wasn't too far. Glancing back at my house, I decided to keep walking.

I stopped when I reached a lifeguard tower, studying it's worn white paint with the number 28 painted across the siding.

Turning, I stepped closer to the shore, standing calf-deep in the water, despite the cold shock it sent up my legs. Breathing in, I took in the view of the ocean, the sky becoming brighter and brighter by the minute.

"You know, people don't usually go swimming in their pajamas."

I quickly turned, my eyes landing on a blonde boy sitting on the edge of the lifeguard tower. He wore a pair of red swim-trunks with a white cross plastered on the side, and a faded red sweatshirt. His legs dangled freely off the edge of the platform, his head tilted with a small smile plastered across his face.

My eyes shot from him to the ground, then quickly back up again. "You know, people usually don't wear that much red at the same time," I retorted.

He chuckled, his eyes now focusing on the ground. "Good one," He laughed.

I rolled my eyes. "No really, it was creative," He giggled. I couldn't stop the small smile from creeping its way onto my face.

I took a few steps towards the tower, looking up at the boy. "Don't you have a job to be doing? You know, like, saving people from drowning or something?" I questioned.

He hopped from his position onto the ground, gesturing to the empty ocean. "As much as I'd love to be saving someone right now, there are unfortunately no people swimming within the general vicinity of this tower," He answered.

"Then why are you even here this early?" I asked, pulling the sleeves of my sweatshirt over my hands.

He tilted his head, studying my face. "I could ask you the same thing."

"I don't know, I just moved here. Figured I'd just check things out, I guess," I sighed. "Your turn."

"I always get here early. My shift doesn't even start until 8, I guess I just like it out here. I only live a few houses away anyway," he answered.

I nodded. "So why are you already dressed in your work clothes?"

"Oh," He glanced down at himself, as if he had forgotten what he was wearing. "I just don't see the point in changing later when I could just do it now."

"Oh, gotcha," I said, adjusting the ends of my sweatshirt. "Well I should probably be heading back home soon, nice meeting you" I nodded, turning around to start walking home.

He followed soon after. "Wait," He called after me, lightly placing a hand on my shoulder.

I turned around, my eyes meeting his. His height made it difficult, however. "Yeah?" I questioned.

He glanced down at me, "I never got your name."

"Rowan," I stated.

A small smile crept onto his lips. "Luke," He replied.

"Pleasure," I smiled, facing the ground. I took a few steps backwards, before turning to head back home.

He watched after, not moving from his place in the sand. He smiled to himself.

"It was all mine."

❂❂❂

A/N

heh

I took me 8 years to update bc I suck sorry I have no other explanations

also thx for reading I appreciattteee it a lot !! ok I'm out of words goodnight

-emma (;(;

Riptides || lrhOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara