Prey

Chapter One

-----------------*

Fawn's POV

-----------------*

I'm a shapeshifter. And a weak one at that. No, I'm not a wolf or a big cat. I'm a deer. Yup, a deer. Mom was proud, said I was a graceful, innocent, beautiful creature. Dad was disappointed. He's a lion. King of the jungle. So you can see how it's hard on me. All the other kids have strong animals. Horses, leopards, jaguars, lions, tigers, bears..... Oh, my! The only people I know with weak ones are my 3 best friends. By best, best friend, Bunny, is well, a bunny. Then there's Birdie. Who's a cute little chickadee! Lastly, there's Flutter, a monarch butterfly. She's probably the strongest even for a butterfly. You see, monarchs have a certain spot where their poisonous. They all have met their mates, except for Bunny and I. Birdie's mate is a hawk named Henry and Flutter's is a bear named Harry. Bunny and I haven't met ours but we really want to. Hopefully they can protect us and not reject us.

"Fawn!" Mother's sweet voice called. Mom was a horse, a friendly, kind, playful creature. I walked gracefully down the stairs. I can't help but being graceful, because that's part of what I am.

"Yes, mother?" I asked in a soft voice, walking into the kitchen.

"There's a new werewolf pack in town. They need a new territory so they'll be taking half of ours. I just wanted to let you know in case you want to shift and go for a walk in the woods!" Mom looked worried. I was too. I'm basically a newborn fawn (baby deer) because I shifted 2 weeks ago and now they'll be wolves hunting in the woods. Great. Just fantastic.

"Thanks mom! I promise to be careful!" I hugged her. "I was thinking about going now. Would you come with me?" I asked. She smile and nodded. We both walked outside and took off our clothes so that we were in our panties and bras.

"Where are you guys going? The wolves just got here!" Dad scolded. He became very protective of me once he learned what I was. "I will be going with you!" Mom and I sighed. Dad was so demanding. But who can blame him, it's his nature. I changed into my 2 foot tall fawn. I was a whitetail deer or fawn. Mom changed into her chestnut mare. Dad changed into his sandy colored lion with a big puffy mane. Mom knelt down so that I could try to get on her back. In the end, dad picked me up in his mouth and set me on her back. That's usually how it is. The first 20 minutes I stayed on mom's back just in case there were any wolves or snakes or other creatures that would harm me, then mom let me get off and waited while I tested my skinny, fragile, little legs and then we started walking again. Mom and dad walked slowly, first, because of my little legs. Second, because I let curiosity get the best of me and went looking at bugs or other things that interested me. Third, because mom and I stopped every once and a while to eat grass or drink water out of a stream. After a while of walking mom started neighing and bucking. Dad tried to calm her, while I hid in a bush, well away from them. If I got close to all that I could get stepped on. Once mom finally calmed down, she spoke to us through our minds.

'I smelt something!' Mom exclaimed. 'It didn't seem dangerous for us. But for Fawn.... ' Dad growled.

'Wait where is Fawn!?' Dad panicked.

'Right here!' I stepped out of the bushes.

Dad growled again. 'Don't do that! You almost gave me a heart attack!' He scolded me. I froze when I heard a twig snap. I knew only I could hear that. Dad and mom had good hearing, but I had it better than most. I looked over to my side, in the deer caught in the headlights pose.

'I heard something!' I ran for the bushes.

'Stay there, honey!' Dad ordered. I heard a low growl that I knew my parents could hear to. Dad put himself in a protective position on front of mom. I watched as a 4 wolves jumped out of the bushes not far from mine. They biggest one barked at my dad. 'Who are you?'