Chapter 1: New Beginnings with Old Friends

Excerpt from the LA Tribune 

The return of the Starlets?

After a year of turmoil surrounding the recently formed LA Starlets NWSL franchise, it's hoped that with new owners and new ideas the club will leave the controversy of its maiden season behind them.

As it had been widely reported there had been widespread corruption, with match fixing at the forefront of the drama filled season. Such allegations which were proven to be true after a thorough investigation left the club reeling and many wondering if it would still be in existence for another season.

With the vast majority of the playing and coaching staff departing it's hoped that with a new ownership group and money flowing back into the club, that this will lead to the attraction of players to help the club overcome the stigma of the previous season.

Alex Morgan's POV:

I'd just pulled up to training, ready for the 1st day of pre-season with the Orlando Pride when my cell started to buzz.

"Hello?"

"Hi Alex it's your favorite agent! Just wanting to check in and see how you're feeling."

I rolled my eyes as I watched some of the other girls walking out to the training pitches, "Since when do you ever just call to check up on me?" I waved at Kaylyn Kyle as she walked past my car.

He chuckled on the other end of the line, "Yeah you're right. You see right through me." Agents, so predictable.

"What I'm calling for is to tell you that you've been traded." I'd been raising a bottle of water to my lips and I almost dropped the bottle at his words.

"What? I just pulled into the lot to train. A heads up would have been nice," I sighed, "where have I been traded to?"

"Now don't freak out but you'll be putting the star in starlets this season." The next few moments were just complete silence, until my agent spoke up again, "You still there Alex?"

"I've been traded to LA." A statement not a question.

"Yes."

More silence. "Did they not want me here at Orlando this season?"

"It's not that Alex. Everyone wants you. It's more like they received an offer they couldn't refuse." I sighed.

Despite the great season I had at Orlando, scoring lots of goals and setting up plenty for my team mates, it had been a difficult year off the field. I asked to be traded to Orlando so I could be closer to Servando as the distance put a strain on our relationship. He proposed and I said yes but then he got traded to Montreal which meant that I barely got to see him anymore. We barely even talked on the phone he was always busy with one thing or another. Now with this latest development we were going to be even further away from one another.

"The money and other sponsorship opportunities are really going to be worth it. Thanks to the raising of the salary cap, here's what you'll be paid now..." My agent kept talking and my eyes widened at the figure he quoted but I shook my head.

"You know it's never been about the money for me," I looked down at the purple gear I was wearing knowing that it'd be the last time before I'd be in white.

"I've got you on the next flight to LA. When you get here we'll talk in person and I'll cheer you up with some good news."

Tobin Heath's POV:

Preseason! Man I was so keen to get back out on a soccer pitch and kick a ball around. I was even more excited to see my Portland girls again. Sure, we hung out when we weren't playing or training but it's not like we're joined at the hip either.

Plus I did like seeing the girls in their cleats and soccer apparel. I liked seeing them a little more than was public knowledge. My tightly kept secret was...that I'm gay. I've always had a thing for girls which I didn't understand or realize at first when I was growing up.

I thought about this as I was sitting in the locker room getting changed for the training session which was close to starting. I looked up when I heard footsteps but quickly looked down after a few seconds of unnoticed staring on my part.

My cheeks were flame red right now, much like the color of our jerseys. One of our newest signings had been walking around the locker room in nothing but her underwear, so I didn't want her to see how much I appreciated the view.

She said hello to me and I said hello back as I continued to pretend to lace up my cleats. "Heath!" Called out the coach and my head snapped up to see him standing there at the entrance of the locker room.

"You're done. Pack up your stuff and head out. You're no longer a Thorn in my side."

At that groan worthy bit of word play I jumped to my feet, my cleats clacking against the floor as I crossed the locker room to him, "What do you mean coach?"

He pointed out the locker room, "You've been traded to LA."

That was how my time at the Portland Thorns came to an end. My agent who also happened to be the agent of one of my best friends, Alex Morgan told me to hurry up and meet him in LA as he wanted me there to welcome Alex.

That bit of news gave me reason to smile as I was going to be playing with my best friend again this season. As I pulled up to the StubHub Center, my new home ground for the upcoming season, I got out of my car and looked up at the venue.

I pictured myself playing in white, setting up Alex to score and celebrating with her, hugging her in delight and holding her close after another goal. Just an innocent thought like that reminded me of the crush I'd been harboring about her for so long. Of course such an amazing girl like her was straight and soon to be married.

"Tobin?" I heard her voice from behind me as if thinking about her had summoned her here. I spun around, a smile spreading on my face as I quickly hugged her and took her by surprise. I heard that magical laugh of hers,

"I'm happy to see you too Tobes." After a few seconds of our embrace, I pulled back, my hands sliding down her arms to take her hands in mine. She was devastatingly pretty when she smiled and it was no wonder she was every boy's wet dream girl.

"You're playing here to this season?" I asked her. She nodded, "I'm guessing with you here that means you'll be here too this year."

Now it was my turn to nod. I gestured to the StubHub, "Why don't we go and find out what we'll be in for this season?"  

A/N: So that's it for now. Just something small to start off with. Let me know what you think by leaving a comment and remember it is a slow burn so there will be a bit of a lead up before you know talex.