Chapter 4: I'm Veronica Williams

Start bij het begin

Carter answered before I could.

"We needed to get some gas" He lied straight through his teeth. The tank was still half full and we wouldn't have needed gas for a few more hours.

"Yeah and I kinda wanted some gummy bears" I added sheepishly, hoping Devon would buy our act.

Dev rolled his eyes and hopped out of the moving truck to pump some gas into it. I let out a sigh of relief along with Carter. I might not always like my younger siblings but I was not a snitch and no one, I mean no one, wants to see Devon in "daddy Dev" mode.

"Anybody else want some gummy bears?" I called out. There were consecutive yeah's from everyone as I jumped out of the Jeep.

I might as well ask because there was no way in hell I was letting anyone come near my gummy bears.

I entered the small green gas station and was greeted by a stout old Hispanic man with a greasy mustache. Mr. Mustache-man smiled at me warmly as I walked by him. I gave him a small smile back before grabbing six packages of gummy bears and six Gatorades (two blue, two red, one orange, and one yellow). Just to be safe, I also grabbed some red licorice and a few bags of chips.

After paying Mr. Mustache-man for my large quantity of junk food I headed back to the cars. I evenly distributed the snacks between the two cars and just like that we were back on the road and I was in gummy bear heaven.

**;-;**

A few hours later we were parking in front of a large light gray house with a white roof and red door. It was mid-afternoon and right now it was hot as hell. Why would anyone want to live somewhere where you could fry eggs on the asphalt?

The house was bigger than anything I had ever lived in and I was definitely getting first pick on my room. Ladies first right? I raced out of the car and pulled a silver key from my pocket.

Scurrying into the house, I locked the door behind me and took in my surroundings. The walls were a warm beige color with white crown molding across the top and bottom. I was about to look around for awhile longer when I heard the sound of feet hitting the pavement outside.

I rushed throughout the entire house searching for the perfect bedroom. I had no idea how many rooms there were in this house -or even how we could afford it for that matter. This place was like a palace compared to the small cottage-like houses that my family and I were used to. Sure our previous house had four bedrooms but the master bedroom at our old house was about the size of one of the regular sized rooms here.

I had to think about this carefully. If the room I picked was too big then I would have to share, but if it was too small then I would be disappointed for the year that we stayed here. The front door swung open revealing the rest of my siblings. I bolted into the only room that I hadn't seen yet and closed the door.

It was the room at the back of the house but right now I didn't give a flying fuck. The room wasn't beige, like the rest of the house, but a light purple. It had a closet on the wall to the left and an average sized window on the wall adjacent to it. The window showed a small garden out back and right then I knew that I had picked the best room in the house.

**;-;**

After a lot of sweating, lifting, whining, and complaining, we had finally finished moving everything into our new home. It turns out that this house had four bedrooms just like our old house, but this one was obviously a lot bigger. Dev explained to me that the only reason that we could afford this house was because of his and Carter's new jobs.

As I sat on my bed and thought about this, a wave if guilt hit me. Dev has been bouncing from job to job every year. He had wanted to be a neurosurgeon so badly. He had gotten scholarship offers and admissions officers calling to meet with him everywhere he went. Dev would have become a neurosurgeon too, a damn good one, if it hadn't been for me.