Gabriel returns from the dead

Sam and Dean were in the bunker doing some research for a case they had just taken just a mile away from the bunker. It was supposedly just a vampire attack, but they had encountered creatures that reminded them of vampires before. Best to be sure before crashing into a party wearing machetes to a gun party.

"Hello Dean," a voice appeared from behind them, and they knew before turning around that the angel Castiel had decided to join them. "Sam,"

"Cas, hey," Sam said quickly before returning to his book with 'sharp teethed creatures, volume 1 out of 47'.

"Hey Cas!" Dean said, a little more enthusiastic than Sam considering he wasn't reallu that into research. And a distraction would always be most welcome when Sam had his nose buried in seven books at the same time. "What've you been up to?"

 "Not much," Castiel answered, finding a seat next to Dean. "Mostly cleaning up in heaven after some angels went mad. After God left with Amara some of them felt so betrayed that it drove them insane,"

"Geesh, I'm sorry to hear that," Dean said his thoughts wandering to what Cas must have had to do to those angels. 

"Yes," Cas said, his voice bitter, obviously trying to forget what he had done. "What about you Dean?"

He was definetley talking about their not-so-dead mom who was currently out on a road trip seeing all the places she used to love.

"I'm fine, we're fine. Hell, we're fan-freaking-tastic," Dean smiled fondly up at the angel thinking of his mom. Mary had yet to meet Castiel, and Dean was wondering how to introduce him. Should he call him their friend? Their family? The angel who sacrificed everything for him? His angel? 

Castiel didn't respond to that, just sat there smiling at Dean who was deep in thought, staring into those icy blue eyes of the angel.

Sam had taken a break from his research, now looking at Dean and Castiel. They were such morons, still refusing their love. Sam smiled sadly at the two of them, suddenly remembering those whisky colored eyes that had used to stare into his. Those eyes that he had loved looking at when they were filled with joy and excitement when he messed with him and Dean, even if he would never admit to Dean that he hadn't really minded being messed with. Because he had looked so happy when he did it.

Sam sighed heavily thinking of the face that time had almost made him forget, the face of the archangel that had been dead for almost 6 years. Dean and Cas broke the stare, looking curiously at Sam, wondering what he was thinking of.

Dean saw the look in Sam's eyes, and knew immediatly what, or who, he was thinking about.

Sam didn't know yet, but Dean had seen how Sam had watched Gabriel those days they had spent with him. The archangel had really caught Sam's attention, making his eyes fill with something that Dean had only ever seen in his mother's eyes when she had looked at his dad. The look that resembled the look Dean could see in Cas' eyes when they were staring at each other, and he knew the look had been in his too.

Dean saddened at the pained look in Sam's eyes. Castiel noticed this, and glanced over at Sam too.

Sam, suddenly realizing the two of them were staring at them, felt a blush creep up his skin, and he closed his book. 

"I'm gonna go to bed," he mumbled taking the book with him as he went out of the room.

Dean glanced down on his watch, seeing that it was only 11PM. 

He let Sam go, sighing as he did so.

"What is with Sam?" Castiel asked worried. He had seen the pained look in Sam's eyes, but didn't know why it was there. They had their mother back, shouldn't he be happy?