Libel Letter

You’re my bad boy fairytale.

So charming with a dark side.

-Selena Gomez

Veronica’s POV

I received a call from Jett in the middle of the day. I was lounging around the house, doing absolutely nothing. I hadn’t even taken a shower or changed my clothes.

“Hello,” I answered, sighing.

“Hey, Ronnie,” Jett replied smoothly. His voice sounded a little off though.

I didn’t feel like talking to him, so I cut right to the chase. “Did you want something?”

There was a short pause. “Not really. But I do need to tell you something.”

I drew my eyebrows together, feeling confused. What did he need to tell me? “Go ahead.”

“Uh… er… I don’t really know what to say. Umm, there was this guy that stopped by earlier. I didn’t catch his name, but he basically told me to stay away from you or there would be consequences.”

My jaw dropped. The only guy I knew who would tell Jett that was Harry. I gulped, swallowing the growing lump in my throat. I couldn’t believe he had threatened Jett like that. Was that why he told me to brace myself?

“Are you there, Ronnie?” He asked, breaking me from my thoughts.

“Yeah,” I said. My voice was hoarse. “I’m here.”

He chuckled. “Good. And I was also wondering if this guy is bad news? I mean, is he, like, after you or something?”

“Oh, no. No, no, no, no, no. He’s not after me. He’s just an old boyfriend of mine that wants to get back together.” It seemed that all I did was lie now. The truth just never seemed right.

“Oh, well, alright then,” Jett sighed. “I guess I’ll talk to you later.”

I smiled. “Bye Jett.” I hung up the phone and leaned my head back on the headrest of the chair I was sitting in.

When would Harry leave me alone? I couldn’t handle it anymore. If I were to see him again, I knew I would give in and go back to London with him.

As if on cue, my cell phone beeped with a text message. It was from an unknown number. I wasn’t surprised. A lot of surprising and unknown things had been occurring lately.

This is your last chance. Please come back with me.

xxx –H

It was obvious that the text was from Harry. How could it not be? I decided not to reply. He would surely take the hint. I laid my phone down on the table and sprawled out in the chair. I tried to think of other things to get my mind off of everything, but it was futile.

There was one question that stood out in my mind though. What would Harry do to me?

Harry’s POV

Veronica hadn’t replied to my message. It had been at least an hour. I presumed that she would never answer my plea. So I decided to set my plan into action. I was positive that this was solid and would work out for me in the end. I rolled out of the bed, sighing. I was staying in a dingy hotel since I had nowhere to go. And I didn’t want to waste my money on something fancy.

Sliding on a shirt, I grabbed my car keys and headed out the door. The only place I knew would have a computer and a printer was the library. So I went straight there. There were a couple of cars in the parking lot, which I had suspected. Not many people came to the library nowadays.

Once inside, I practically ran to the first computer I saw. I opened up Microsoft Word and began to type what would be the main ingredient in my well concocted scheme.

My Dearest Vincent,

After you read this letter, I’ll know that you’ll come look for me. And, well, I wish you the best of luck. I’m happy where I am. But I know what you’re thinking, ‘you died Alice. How could this possibly be real?’ In actuality Vincent, I’m still alive and very well. After my plane crashed into the Atlantic, I soon realized that I was the only survivor. Somehow, I managed to float back to the Bahamas in a yellow life raft. There was no one around to help me, but I made it on my own.

After a while, I got to thinking about us. I thought about how unhappy we both were with our relationship. How we fought all of the time. I even thought about leaving you. But I just didn’t want to face a nasty divorce, especially with a very emotional Veronica raging around.

And now you’re thinking, ‘how could you do this to us?’ Well, there are several reasons. One: We were high school sweethearts Vincent. You got me pregnant and we eloped. I had Veronica at a young age and the stress of raising a kid when I was still practically one myself was too stressful. And two: Like I said before, I didn’t want to face a nasty divorce. And I didn’t want to put all of that on you and Veronica.

Don’t get me wrong; I still love each of you very much. But I just couldn’t do it anymore. So I thought it would be best to let you and Veronica think that I was dead. And I knew I would never get to see my little girl grow up to be a beautiful young woman. I wouldn’t get to see her live out her dreams. And I wouldn’t get to see her find true love and walk down the aisle.

But I’ve come to terms with all this recently. So I decided to hire some private investigators to track the two of you down. I guess I was lucky. Now I’m realizing what a huge mistake I made not coming back home. I miss you Vincent and I miss Veronica. I want to make up for lost time. And I’m asking if you would give me a chance and take me back. Of course, I would completely understand if you didn’t.

Yours truly,

Alice.

I reread the letter I had written at least ten times before finally printing it out. It sounded full proof enough. Hopefully Veronica’s dad would take the bait and actually look for his dead wife. Then, I would strike when least expected.

And Veronica would be mine again.