Just when I thought it was over, he picked me up by my arm, a bruise definitely growing there. He lifted me up, only to throw a powerful slap across my face, causing me to stumble on spot.

More tears left my eyes as I begged for him to stop.

"It's about time you get put in your place." He muttered and I could hear the delight in his tone.

The hatred I had for him grew even larger.

He threw another slap, this time I lost balanced and fell back. My back hit the wall. He had this sinister grin on his lips as he towered over me. My vision was blurry, yet from the corner of my eye, I could see my mother holding back a weeping Mary.

"She needs to learn!" I faintly made out. I also noticed something else. The green apple, I was biting on just seconds ago, was rolling around on the ground, looking free and unharmed. Although it was turning yellow and was half-eaten, it was free. And in that moment, a pathetic thought crossed my mind.

I wish I was that apple.

I felt my breaths slow down as I looked up at my father.

He had won this battle, just like any other.

"Will you eavesdrop and be nosy again?" He questioned in a dark tone.

"I-I'm sorry! I won't do it again," I panted, my voice cracking as I cried out in pain. He gripped me by my arm and began dragging me. I weakly followed behind, trying to keep my legs from falling out on me.

He pushed my body to the bottom of the staircase, letting another bruise build on my elbows.

"Go to your room and don't come out till you're needed!" He yelled fiercely. I did as I was told, stumbling up the stairs and locking the door behind me. I rushed to sit on my bed. I took a few seconds to calm my breathing and let all the tears of pain and hurt, fall.

The tears didn't stop for a long time. I cried and cried, until eventually, my head began to hurt. I wiped away all the water drops on both of my cheeks and slowly stood up from my bed. Hissing in pain, I carefully walked towards the mirror, prepared to see the damage my father had done.

And when I did see all the bruises on my cheeks, my arms - I broke down all over again.

---

My feet swayed back and forth in the air as I read from the book settled in-front me. My stomach was pressed against the bed as I used my elbows as support to lean on. My brows knotted in concentration as I continued reading the paragraph from the romance book. 

It was Romeo and Juliet; cliche I know, but I always heard people talking about it and giving it great reviews. So, when Mrs Smith granted me access to check out any books I liked, it was the first one that came to mind. 

I grew slightly distracted, hearing various floorboards creak from downstairs. I sighed, sitting up and closing the book. 

Since yesterday, after I had spent my time crying, I eventually dried myself clear of tears. I tried to fill my mind with happy memories to try and get rid of the events which happened earlier, only nothing really seemed to work until the idea of reading a book crossed my mind.

I felt dirty and sore. It was almost as if I could still feel my father's cold hands on me. I shivered at that. When it was eleven pm and I had made sure everyone was asleep, I quietly made my way out the room and ran a warm bath. It helped me relax.

I did as my father had told me, I stayed locked up in my room - hungry. I hadn't eaten anything since the apple yesterday and I was starving. Whilst I was reading, my stomach would occasionally rumble. I knew Mary had tried to come inside my room, since there was knocking on the door earlier, but no voices.