Seeing Stars

I struck my head up, all of a sudden wide awake but I didn't quite know why. I looked around to see that all of the guys were awake, too. Then I heard the worst noise, leaving me with a pit in my stomach. It sounded like someone wailing, and we couldn't tell who, or what,was making the noise.
"Oh, my God!" I quickly turned to see Vern stricken with fear, and I defiantly know he's not the only one.
"It's that Brower kid! His ghost is out walking in the woods," Teddy said in a mischievous manner. I wanted to roll my eyes, but my whole body was frozen. Vern bends down and puts his hands together and starts to recite a prayer, obviously he didn't have much experience.
"I promise I won't hawk no more dirty books. I promise I won't say no more bad swears. I promise I'll eat all my lima beans." Teddy started to creep up on him, and at the end of his speech he tapped Vern on the shoulder.
"Ah!"
"Two for flinching," Teddy chimed as he hit Vern twice in the shoulder. I looked over my shoulder at Gordie and Chris, to see they had pulled out the gun.
"What is it, Chris?" Gordie asked as he looked at the perimeter of our campsite.
"Maybe it's coyotes."
"It sounds like a woman screaming," he said as I put my hands on my hips.
"It's not coyotes. It's his ghost." Teddy started to lurk around, defiantly starting to scare the living shit out of Verno.
"Oh, don't say that," I heard him slightly whimper. Teddy got up, and started to walk away from the fire and towards noise.
"Hey Teddy, sit down!" Chris was getting fed up with him, and I'm pretty sure everyone else was, too.
"I'm gonna go look for it. I wanna see the ghost!" At the end of his sentence, I started to slide closer to Chris, and felt a little safer when my side touched his.
"Don't say that!" Vern was almost yelling.
"I just wanna see it! I wanna see what he looks like.."
Then all at once, there is a loud cry out from the woods followed by a chorus of many others in different pitch and tones. Teddy falls backwards, and quickly comes back to the fire.
"Jesus H. bald-headed Christ!" After Teddy got back to us safely, Vern spoke up.
"Maybe we should stand guard."
"Yeah. That's a good idea," Chris agreed while he slid his hand around my body.
"Gimme the gun. I'll take the first watch." Teddy snatched the gun, and set up his watch at a tree.
I crawled back into my slightly damp sleeping bag, and started to let sleep take my mind.
"2300 hours, Corporal Teddy Duchamp stands guard. No sign of the enemy. The fort is secure."
"Shut up, Teddy, and keep your eyes peeled." I heard Chris yell from somewhere around the warming flames. I looked up to see teddy raise the gun up under his chin, and start to chime some crazy army song. At least I think that's what it was.
"Hey Teddy, cut it out! We're trying to sleep!" We all yelled. There was not silence for long, of course.
"The dogfaces rested easy in the knowledge that Corporal Teddy Duchamp was protecting all that was dear to them."
"Teddy," Chris moaned in anger.
--------
*(Sorry for the following, I will be skipping when Gordie wakes up and talks to Chris. It's slightly different.)*

"Ahhh!" I hear a gasp in my sleep, and my eyes shoot open.
"Are you okay?" I hear Chris whisper. My back is turned to them, so I can't see what they are doing.
"Huh?" Gordie asks. I heard him shift his weight, crunching leaves under him.
"You were dreaming," Chris states wearily. I knew I shouldn't be awake for this conversation, so I tried my best to ignore them and fall asleep.
"I didn't cry at Denny's funeral." Gordie has been through so much, he shouldn't be doing this to himself.
"I miss him, Chris. I really miss him."
I wipe my eyes, feeling tears fill them. I haven't told any of my new friends, but I did too lose someone I loved.
"I know."

I rolled over to see the fire no longer strong and radiating heat, but rather a beautiful bed of red embers. I notice everyone is in their sleeping bags, including Chris. I had heard their entire conversation, even though I feel terrible and wished I hadn't. Chris actually cried. I don't have a problem with that, I'm just worried about him.
I slithered out of my nap sack and made my way out of the clearing as silently as possible. I couldn't sleep, especially not with all these conflicting emotions raging inside of me.
I made it to the train tracks and laid down next to them, taking advantage of the fact the trees parted here so I could get a view of the sky of stars. It was harder at the camp we set up since the constant smoke from the embers were blocking my view.
I hear a rustling coming from where I had, and sat up quickly if I was in need to defend myself.
But it was just Chris, of course. He probably heard me leaving.
"What's wrong?" He said as he came down and sat right next to me, flanking my side.
"What do you mean?" I asked, hoping I could dodge the bullet that was shot at me.
"You know what I mean," he said lightly, and turning his head to meet my eyes. "You've been acting weird ever since you fell of the bridge. I thought it was just shock, but I think I'm wrong."
I breathed in deeply, wanting to inhale the stars and the sky and the galaxies and be anywhere but here. I wanted to drink it all in, and prepare myself for I didn't know what I was preparing myself for.
"My brother died when I was 6." My breathing felt uneven, and I felt like I wasn't getting enough air. I felt Chris pull me into a tight hug, and I wrapped my arms around his back.
"I started to remember and see things I really wish I hadn't. Just thing about the night he left, and things like that," I said as if a weight that had been restraining me was lifted.
"Do you want to talk more about it?" He asked in my ear, while we were still hugging. When the hug did finally end, I shook my head.
"Is there anything you need?"
I looked right up into his forest green eyes. I brought my hands around his neck, and kissed this beautiful boy.
I lied down in his lap, and fell asleep while in his arms and looking at the stars. I felt him carry me back later that night, hoping he slept as good as I did.

I dreamt about the kiss, and imagined a million planets and stars exploding like they were fireworks on a hot Fourth of July night.