chapter 6: Squirrel Savior

Start from the beginning

"Hey Ann," Andrew said. "How are you?"

I looked at my sad, broken down mess of a car.

"I'm alright," I said. "What's up?"

"So, I know my mother and I were coming into the meeting for the party planning. But my mom is busy, but my sister Gia has been begging to come. She wants to meet you...is that alright? Gia is better with these kinds of things, you know, family stuff."

"Sure," I said. "You can bring your rabbi if you really want. As a client, I'll do anything to make your event successful. But we have a slight hiccup today. I'm having some car trouble."

"Really? My Dad is a mechanic, so maybe I can help."

"I hit a mailbox, and it did some damage to my tire and the hood of my car," I said. "There was this squirrel in the road..."

"You swerved to save a little critter," Andrew said. "You're adorable, you know that? Where are you? I'll pick you up." In the distance I saw the tow truck approaching.

"Are you sure, it's not very appropriate."

"Ann, I like spending time with you. Besides, Gia will kill me if I leave you on the side of the road."

I told him where I was, and we hung up. I couldn't help but compare how laid back Andrew was, and how he'd offered to come get me with no questions asked.

I mean sure, I could have called my dad, but I didn't really want to do that when Susan was in town. God only knows what I'd be interrupting, even if Dad was dating a church lady. I paid the tow guy, well, I gave him my credit card information and prayed the tow wouldn't max it out entirely. And then I waited on the side of the road, hoping I still look cute despite the fact that I was wet in the rain. I saw a black 2013 Ford Fusion pull up, and I smiled. Andrew the bass player drove a ford, a very nice new Ford, but it was still good to see when he wasn't in something pretentious like a Cadillac or a Rolls Royce. The window rolled down and a young girl peered over the glass. I inspected her, seeing the same black hair, brown eyes, and strong face as Andrew's. Andrew waved from behind her head, which was inspecting me from head to toe to deem me worthy or not. After a brief inspection, Gia smiled at me.

"Hello, you must be Ann," she said. "I'm Gia. Get in so we can get you dried off."

"Gia, we talked about this. You're getting in the backseat so Ann can sit by me."

"Really? You're selling your sister out?"

"I don't mind the backseat," I said. "I'm just glad I got a ride."

"No, I insist," Andrew said. "Ann, I want you in the front."

"How about I drive, and you take the backseat bro."

"Fine," Andrew said, unbuckling his seatbelt. He hopped out and I waited for him to walk around, just make sure I was supposed to get in the front seat.

"So, should I take shotgun," I asked. Andrew walked over and opened the car door for me, smiling as he did it.

"Absolutely," Andrew said. "Sorry about Gia, I'm sort of a pushover with her."

"I'll sit wherever, honestly. I'm just glad to have a ride and get out of the rain. I must be a mess."

"You look beautiful," Andrew said. "I love the dress."

Gia honked the horn and my face heated up a couple million degrees. I got in the car and Gia handed me a towel, which I coveted like gold.

"I'll keep my eyes out for squirrels," Gia said with a hint of amusement on her face.