Chapter Fifty-Six

Sam's POV

For the sake of Lyra, I want to save Danak, even despite what he tried to do to her. If I cannot preserve his life, I can at least save the one that he loves. That is why I sent Thomas to retrieve Annelise and take her into the next town for a while, until I can confirm that it is safe enough for her return.

That way, at least Lyra's suffering will be lessened if the King still chooses to have Danak killed for his attempted assassination.  Perhaps I will be able to talk him into postponing the execution until after Lyra and I are wed; then we will have the power to call it off, ourselves, once we are the new rulers of Nordic. I have to at least try to speak with the King about the delay, otherwise I do not think I will be able to look Lyra in the eye again.

Thomas is well trained in close combat and swordsmanship, and has the sharp senses of a well trained assassin. He was raised as one, after all, being the oldest son in a family of killers. Being resistant to poisons and being able to rip a mans heart from his chest with your bare hands certainly has its perks, though the the immense suffering that Thomas had to go through beginning at the age of seven is hardly worth the skills acquired. No matter how he was raised, though, he grew into a fine man who saved my life.

I was no more than fourteen when I was attacked by bandits. I had foolishly left the castle grounds by myself to go hunting with Dazarias, who was an obvious indicator of my royal heritage. Only people of importance are permitted to own Vann-Hest in Whales, so even though I hadn't been wearing my crown, the man-eating beast was enough to give me away. I was a selfish brat still undergoing my self defense training, and thought that I could handle myself if something was to happen. I was wrong, and was about to be kidnapped for a ransom when Thomas, who had been traveling by on horseback in search of work, intervened.

Shortly after I offered him a spot on my Guard. He accepted and worked to gradually earn my trust. It soon became apparent that he was on a completely different level than the other men in combat skills, and was promoted to the position of my Captain. He has been nothing but loyal to me since, having left the ways of his 'family business' long ago. He didn't much care for killing people in return for money, even if he was quite good at it -or so I've heard. It helps having someone on your team who doesn't mind killing, though, as much as I dislike to admit it, especially since I don't particularly enjoy doing it myself.

I asked for a private meeting with the King, but he is taking his time in answering my request. Until I receive his acceptance or refusal to my presence, I have decided to be near Lyra. I would be wasting my time down in the awful smelling dungeons with Danak, as there is nothing more for him to tell me. With Camiseal keeping watch over him, I trust that he will be kept safe from those who threatened him until the King has decided what will be done with his fate. I've sent two men out to investigate the Staph family further, to see if what Danak said about his parents was true. Until I receive their reports, I do not have many things to do here in this castle of lies but wait.

Once Lyra woke up and we had taken time to ourselves to clean up, she decided to do something reckless, something that made me smile. As soon as the King's men were switched out for her own beloved Guardsmen, she abandoned her chambers. With the the near entirety of her Guard, Lance and I to accompany her, the King can hardly say that she is unprotected. I don't believe that she has ever been so safe, actually. There is not one man here that wouldn't lay down their life for this Princess... Including myself.

Lyra hasn't spoken about what happened last night to anyone, not even to Lance. She has been rather distant, though, so I know that she hasn't forgotten about her former distress. In fact, I think that she is fighting to keep it at bay, and Lance has begun to catch on. I have yet to grow accustomed to the strange ways that the two have with each other,  but when Lyra turns her head to her close companion as though he had spoken to her aloud, I am reminded of the bond that they share. I have never gotten close enough to anyone to attempt that sort of communication.