Chapter Thirty-One

Jeddediah's POV

"Quiet!" I bellow at the siblings, but they ignore me as they continue they're squabble.

They wouldn't listen to me, because I'm not Kaladin. I know that, but he hasn't returned yet this morning, and I am the only one left with any sense at the moment.

They're voices echo off of the trees around us as they quarrel , oblivious to me and my indignation at the behavior.

I'm not certain what set them off this time, but with the siblings together there is always bound to be an argument around the corner. Looking at them now, I see Syl throw a punch at her brother, but he dodges it and laughs, sticking his tongue out at her. His immaturity surfaces once again.

Begining to become annoyed, I pick up a stone and throw it at them. "Enough you two, someone might hear us." I hiss, glancing at the trees and mist around us as if a spying person would leap out to confront the source of the noise.

The morning is still young, and carries a bite in its breath but the birds around us are unfazed as they carry on with their daily business, sailing back and forth through the brisk air.

The stone had knocked Adolin in the head, and he rubs his sore spot with a scowl. He throws it back with more force than I did to him, but I still catch it with ease, ignoring the way my palm stings at the connection.

I finally seemed to have gained at least his attention. "Why don't you go make a round? Kaladin made it clear that we should keep a watch on the perimeters here. "

We are staying at the fringes of the forest around the out side walls of Nordic, keeping watch for the men that are out for Lyra.

So far we haven't noticed anything leading to them, but we're all still on alert. Well, some of us anyway.

The scowl on Syl's face never leaves as she stands up and slings her bow over her back angrily.

"I'll do it," She states moodily, preparing herself to go stomping off. "Since this idiot can't even lie properly. He clearly cannot do anything by himself." She mumbles as she crashes past me and into the trees to our left.

I say nothing, only turn to Adolin with a raised eyebrow. He returns it with as shake of his head, and he picks himself up from the ground to come sit with me near the fire.

"I have no idea," he says, throwing his hands up in the air. "I don't understand women, especially my sister." He concludes, then looks at what I am doing.

I had been fiddling with a thin leather strap, and at Adolin's noticing, I slip it onto my wrist and ignore him.

He's quiet a moment, before opening his mouth. I stand up and go over to the horses as he speaks to avoid looking at him.

"That's hers, isn't it?" His voice is soft, and holds no judgment.

I don't speak, only stoop my head in a nod as I busy myself with my beast's feet.

It's the strap that Lyra had used to tie her hair back from her face. I found it when we followed after her, pressed into the mud by many horse hooves. We soon veered from the trail that they had taken on the way to the castle to avoid being spotted, even though we kept a day behind them always.

Kaladin is somewhat of a tracker, and he is the one who pointed the strap out. Perhaps he thought I may want to keep it, or perhaps he thought nothing of it.

Either way, I dismounted to pick it up, and I've had it around my wrist ever since. I'm not sure why I hold on to it, as if it was a part if her.

I shrug it off as I let my mount's hoof drop, and pat his rump as I stand. I begin to adjust the already perfectly fitting bridle of the horse, then check his already secure saddle and saddle bags, busying myself in attempts to keep her memory from my thoughts. She's hardly left them since she agreed to come back to her people.