prologue

"It's October and freezing, so why are we out here?" I groan to my friend Lucy.

"Because, this guy I met at the mall goes here." She says with her New York accent. "He invited me, and I thought you needed a man." She shrugs and pops her gum. I roll my eyes and flip my hair to the other side of my head.

"I don't need a guy. I have my dogs to cuddle with." I pout. Lucy giggles and tickles my side.

"I don't think they like you anymore." She chuckles.

"They do too!" I say, faking my shock.

"Okay, whatever you say doll." She smiles and ruffles up my hair.

We make it up to the front, and the guy lets us in. Rock music fills our ears when we walk in, making me wince a little. Smoke is all around us as teenagers make out and dance to the music. In the middle of the room, there's the boxing ring.

No one is out yet, so I'm glad we're not late. We sit in the very front and giggle at all the people around us. The music changes and the lights dim. The boxers come out and make the crowd roar. The first man to come out is a very muscular one. He has brown hair in a small quiff and a friendly smile. He high fives some of the people in the crowd before going in the ring.

Then next man to come out is very tall and lanky. His arms are very muscular with tattoos all over. His hair is curly and reaches a little below his ears. His face is mean, and intimidating. He scans the audience before landing on me. He smirks at me, then climbs into the ring also. They had a girl in small shorts come out and hold the sign up. The boy who smirked at me stares at the girls ass and nudges the arm of the guy beside him. They laugh it off before putting his gloves on and taking a sip of water. He shakes his hair around before standing up proudly.

The match starts making Lucy chew on her nails. A guy sits beside her and starts to kiss her neck. She giggles and eats his face off with him. I huff and lean my chin on the palm of my hand. I get bored, so I stare at the floor. A song plays and immediately brings me back to old memories that I'd rather not have.

My breath starts to slow, and my heart pumps fast. I try to keep up with my breaths, but it's hard to with everything around me. With my friend making out beside me, to the music, to all the smoke and noise. I get up and go to the bathroom to try and catch my breath.

I look at myself in the mirror. I don't fit in here and I feel very self conscious. Almost everyone is wearing baggy cargo shorts and dark everything else. I'm wearing my old white keds, black leggings, and a red shirt. My hair is in two Dutch braids and I feel like a kid. When I feel like I've caught my breath, I walk back out. I find out I've missed it and the boy with tattoos won.

Almost everyone's leaving except a couple of people. I sit down and wait for my friend to return. Again, I huff and pout my lips out. I become bored, so I pick at the ends of my hair. I look up to the ring and see 'tattoos' sitting there. He's leaning back in his chair, his hair sticking to his forehead with sweat.

He has a toothpick hanging from his mouth and casually moves it around with his tongue. His eyes are closed and his legs are spread open. His white T-shirt is basically see through, showing his tattoos off. His basketball shorts a risen up a little to show a little of his thigh. I must've stared for too long, because when I look up, he's staring at me with a smirk. He chews on his toothpick cockily, leaning his head back.

The ring girl comes up there with him and stands in front of him, blocking me from seeing him. She leans down and kisses his cheek, then down his neck. I groan and roll my eyes and get up from the stupid seat. I leave without Lucy, and start to walk home.

It's freezing outside, making my hands numb and my teeth chatter. I try to warm myself up, but it's too cold. I climb through my window and into my room. I go to sleep the second I lay down, dreaming about foolish things.

\\\