Chapter 1

One Monday, coming home from a week’s worth of visit to her bestest bud Diana’s house, Melissa found ten messages on her machine. “Man, I knew I was a diva, but ten messages?” she said sighing as the phone rang again. She was so tired she just let the machine get it and her ears rang with her familiar message: “Hey Y’all! If ya don’t remember who called, this is Mel. Leave a message I’ll try to get back in touch! Thanks!”

Her heart nearly stopped when she heard the next voice, “She was my once in a life time, happy ending come true. I guess I should have told her, but I thought she knew. Melissa, I’m at the stoplight ten minutes from your house. Hope you’re there when I get there. Oh yeah! This is J.T.”

Mel dropped her bags and grabbed her cordless phone to dial Diana’s number. She answered with her usual “Howdy!”

“Guess who just called!?! Oh my gosh! OH my GOSH! J.T!! Do you want to hear the other messages?” Melissa blurted in one breath.

Diana giggled, “No way J.T. called you. If he did, then in two weeks or less, I’ll marry the man of my dreams.”

“Well, I hope you’re ready to get married,” Mel practically yelled, “’cause listen to these messages! The last one is from him, who knows… maybe more.”

After pressing playback, Melissa sat on the sofa by the phone.

‘Message one’, the machine clicked, “Mel, hun, this is Jerry, we need to talk. Call me!”

‘Message two’, the machine clicked, “Melissa, this is Josh, I need to talk to Diana. Can you call me back and give me her number? My number is 434-834-8216.”

‘Message three’, the machine clicked, “And I will take you in my arms and hold you right where you belong… Mel, this is J.T. call me back!”

“See?? Believe me?” Mel cut in before the next message played.

‘Message four’, the machine clicked, “Melissa? This is your mother… pick u- oh, I forgot your monthly visit to Diana’s. Is she still as wild and crazy as usual? Call me!”

Melissa busted out laughing.

‘Message five’, the machine clicked, “Man! Melissa? Are you ever coming home? This is Josh again. I really want Diana’s number… you know what? I’ll just call Kev and get it from him.”

‘Message six’, the machine clicked, “I’m coming over in twenty minutes… This is J.T.”

‘Message seven’, the machine clicked, “Mel, this is Brit. I just wanted to see if you and Diana were available for a lunch date this week? Call me…”

‘Message eight’, the machine clicked, “Mel? This is Kevin. I gave Josh Diana’s number… why didn’t you pick up when he called? Call me back.”

‘Message nine’, the machine clicked, “Melissa? I’m on my way. If you aren’t there when I get there, I’m going to wait… see you soon, doll.”

“That sounds promising,” Mel stated.

‘Message ten’, the machine clicked, “Aunt Mel? Dis is your nephew Jake, if you’re der pick up! I wanna come bisit!”

Diana cut in here, “He is too cute! I’m coming to visit when he does!”

Mel laughed before saying, “Shut up! Here’s the last message!”

After listening to the message replay, Melissa sighed. “I told ya!” she blurted before a knock sounded at the door. Instantly her heart was in her throat. “Di? Oh my…  has it been ten minutes since I called you? Do you think that’s him?”

Melissa opened the door expecting to be disappointed. When she came face to face with the man she’d had a crush on for years, she nearly fell on the floor.