Chapter Twenty Three | Calling Doctor Brown

Start from the beginning

"Don't even mention it."

The second she was gone Braydon turned serious. Listening more to Morgan than Kyle, they went through the documents found at the house with hawk eyes. The addresses for what they suspected to be other facilities were sent to Connor who had a small group of his own doing what they could from hacking into surveillance camera's nearby and anything else that might prove useless. Those who were willing, were contacted in preparation of heading out at dusk while once again, the shifters not involved would move to their safe locations or simply make their plans to stay home. It was nearly three in the morning when Braydon got home, but at least everything was ready.

The relief May felt sensing her father home when she woke was enough to get her out of bed. Thankfully the weekend meant she could hide at home, yet her list was never ending when she thought of her friends - especially Tiffany. At least she could avoid Josh and going into the kitchen, Selena was cooking up breakfast for her siblings.

"Morning!" She smiled as the toast bounced up. "Hungry?"

"No, but thanks." May smiled, going for the fridge she got out some juice. "Everyone still in bed?"

"No. Chad and Eli went out about an hour ago. I haven't seen your parents."

It was strange for her mum to sleep in, but May realised she probably hadn't gone to bed until her dad got home. "Where did they go?"

"Not sure. I think Bianca's?"

May wanted to go too, so slipped away to shower and get ready. By the time she was done, Selena was in the backyard playing with a skipping rope with the kids and her parents still hadn't gotten up. Closing her eyes, she was happy to feel them close by and leaving a note on the bench made the decision to get out of the house. She hadn't gone for a bush walk for far too long and so went the long way to get to the alpha's home. Each breath made her feel more grounded, the earth was still wet from all the rain of the night before, while the air and sky were heavy with the promise of more.

She didn't hurry as she should have, distracted by everything around her. Dew ran down the spindly finger like leaves, brushing over her shoulder so the cool liquid managed to slip under her jumper and run down her back. Mud sloshed over her boots and unbothered by the cold, she stopped to lean against a tree, trying to let go of everything plaguing her mind. It was then something small and definitely rabbit like darted away. May heard every sound it made, her eyes keenly tracking the slight disturbance of the undergrowth in its path before the creature vanished, safe underground. The thought of the chase gave her new energy, a spring in her step that hadn't been there before and it lasted until Nate found her.

"What the hell are you doing here?" He growled. "It's too fucking dangerous to be off walkign around by yourself."

"I'm pretty sure I'm the safest out of all of you." May pointed out, as Leanna came running over.

"May!" The girls hugged each other tightly while all May could focus on was the weight Leanna had lost. Her skin was pale, eyes puffy and in all she really didn't look well - worse than a few days ago even.  "I'm so glad you're here."

"That makes one of you." She mumbled, looking at Nate who only growled again.

"You're not invincible May." Nate reminded her.

"I know, but if I didn't think it was safe to do, I wouldn't have done it!"

Nate snorted. "How did that work for you last night?"

"Nate, enough!" Leanna interrupted before May could answer. "Come inside. It's too cold out here."

The pair glared at each other before following Leanna in and instantly May was being hugged by Bianca. "I'm so glad you're okay."