Chapter Twenty Three | Calling Doctor Brown

Start from the beginning

"You don't know what you're talking about." May snapped, not willing to hear it. "Eli thought I could somehow talk myself into changing, and now you think I've talked myself out of it? Don't you think it's something I would know!"

'Or is it?' May thought to herself.

"Like I said, I'm not a shifter but after everything you've just said, after what your father and others have noticed, I have to wonder." Miranda sighed and slowly got up. "Try and get some sleep darling. Hopefully we'll have some good news in the morning."

All May could do was nod and curling back up in bed, she watched her mother leave, hating the possibility that she could actually be right. For so long she had been fighting what she was, unable to see how she could possibly belong in the pack or why she'd even want to. This time when she closed her eyes, she wasn't stuck remembering the horror of the night - she fell asleep, with dreams flooding her mind of what it felt like to be truly free as she was able to run and run and run; across grassy meadows, climb rocky outcrops and dash through the forest -  only May wasn't on two legs anymore, she had four and the wolves that ran with her no longer ran ahead of her, leaving the human behind because she was one of them, right where she belonged.

_____________________

Bianca looked over the the various documents with Kyle and Morgan. Her eyes longed to close, just for a minute as exhaustion was starting to win out. The non-stop bickering between the pair was worse than anything her children could keep up, and as Braydon came in after cleaning up, she could tell his mind wasn't on anything relevant. She didn't blame him; hearing about what happened at the theatre with May had been in the back of her mind too. The what if's about it all endless and she was determined to stop her from doing any more of these trips with that boy. They'd already lost so many, she wasn't prepared for May to become one of those numbers too.

"Go home." She told him instantly.

"You go home." He answered just as quickly.

"May-"

"Has Miranda and Chad. You've left Cody and three of your pups, plus you shouldn't have even come tonight. Hows your side feeling?"

As soon as he mentioned it, the throbbing pulse of pain returned leaving Bianca nearly breathless.

"It's fine. We need to work out what to do before they change anything. Tomorrow we get our pack back and the other shifters." She told him stubbornly.

Braydon didn't buy it for a second. "You're definitely not doing anything tomorrow if you don't go home now."

"I am alpha and you do not-" She growled.

"I am your second and will always do what is in the best interest of the pack and you. Right now, having an exhausted alpha and two dominant wolves that need to remember their place, is not in the best interest of anyone." Instantly Kyle and Morgan went quiet from their own mumbling. "I'm getting Jay to take you home."

Bianca looked at Braydon, trying to remember the lost boy she had first come across. Of course he hadn't actually been a boy, he was her age, but he had been so confused and troubled she'd just been drawn to help him. Whether they met by some kind of fate that day at the fair or by chance; maybe if they hadn't met at all she knew their paths would have crossed eventually anyway. Now he stood, a force to be reckoned with as he stared her down. Gone was the lonely ache that had caught her attention from the second they met, and in it's place was confidence. He was a wolf who knew his worth, his place and had no trouble staring her down into submission.

"Okay." She huffed in defeat, the relief from her wolf not helping as even the animal was anxious for a chance to rest. Braydon gave a tiny smile, happy with his victory though he was never one to gloat. He had been a great support to her ever since he and Miranda were welcomed to the pack; a missing piece to the puzzle of her life and now Bianca was thankful he was there to take over. "Thank you."