Superman Stole My Panties -- The Big Reveal

Start from the beginning

A green sash covered his black clothes, a mask in his hand. “Jake..”

He smiled, leaning down to kiss me. I rested my hand on his chest, stopping him. I took the mask, inspecting it. It was the missing one. “Where did you get this?”

“I told you I had to go find it.”

I shook my head slowly, “No, that wasn’t you. It hasn’t been you.”

He laughed slightly, his voice softer than I was used to. He took the mask from my hands carefully, “You already lost this once, Aves, I don’t think you should keep that.”

I was shocked at his level of concern. I had found out his identity.

“But your rule,” I whispered.

“My rule?”

My heart began to beat faster. Jake wasn’t my hero. If he was, I would be recognized his kisses, I would have been able to notice his voice. And he surely would have known what rule I was talking about. It was his number one rule. He couldn't tell me who he was. I closed my eyes, trying to figure out what was going on, when a voice echoed through my room. There, standing near my window was another man, dressed in black. A green sash, identical to the one Jake was wearing, hung over his shoulder, a green mask over his eyes. I jumped to my feet, confused and terrified. If Jake wasn’t my superhero, who was?

How did Jake even find out about this?

“Avery, he’s going to hurt you.” Superman whispered.

“Jake? No, he wouldn’t.” I defended my boyfriend.

“Avery, who are you going to believe?” Jake’s voice was stern, almost scary.

I felt my knees weakening, life seemed to move in slow motion, and the last thing I remembered was both superheroes running towards me to catch me as I fell.

~♥~

My eyes opened slowly, and a familiar figure stood over me. I smiled, recognizing the black and green mask. A hand extended towards me, and I curled my fingers around his black gloves as he pulled me to my feet.

“Where’s Jake?”

“Gone.”

My heart rate speed up again, and I leaned against the bed.

“Take it easy, Aves.” His voice was soft and gentle as he helped me lay down.

“You need to tell me who you are.”

He nodded, realizing that I was right. He slowly pulled off the mask, revealing himself to me.

~♥~

“Avery? Avery, are you okay, dear? You’re going to be late.”

I sat up, rubbing my eyes. “What happened?”

“You’re going to be late for school, Avery.”

I smiled up at my grandma, climbing out of bed. “Right,”

~♥~

After breakfast, I headed out front to meet my ride. I waited, and waited, and waited, but there was still no sign of Jake. And then Josh’s car pulled up.  

“Avery, get in.”

“Josh?”

“Get in.”

I hesitantly climbed in, memories from the night before flooding back. “Why are you here?”

“I had a feeling Jake wouldn’t be,” Josh laughed.

He looked better, more like how he was when I dated him, compared to the drunken mess he’d been since we separated. I smiled a little at him, thankful that he was here to drive me. With my car in the shop, I was worried about how I’d find my way to school without Jake.

“Why do I have the feeling you know everything’s that’s going on?”

We pulled up to a stop sign, and he glanced at me. “You mean, you don’t remember last night?”

I leaned back against the seat, closing my eyes. I tried to remember what had happened, but my brain was trying to block it out. I shook my head, “No, I don’t.”

“Jake was lying about being your superman. I don’t know how he even found out about this whole thing,”

“You are…” I whispered, my memories beginning to come back. While they were still foggy, I remembered Josh pulling off the mask, smiling down at me.

“Bentley. I bet Bentley found out and told him.” I laughed, thinking of all the secret conversations Bentley and Jake had taken part in.

“It’s a possibility.” He shrugged, glancing over at me.

Guilt flooded through me. I had been so mean to Josh, and here, he had been the one who saved me so many times before.

“I’m sorry.”

When he didn’t say anything, I continued.

“We were good together. You’re not a bad guy, and I was stupid for saying anything about our relationship. I’ve been really mean to you lately, and it hasn’t been fair. You’ve saved me so many times, superman.”

He laughed, “It’s okay, Aves. Now, what do you say we team up and take down this murderer before he strangles you, too?”

I nodded, looking into his blue eyes. His brown hair was ruffled up in front, a messy style that most guys couldn’t pull off. He hit the gas, and we drove towards the school. And for the first time in a while, I was happy.