Chapter Twelve - Stevie

She could barely contain the icy fury. It was a brittle, winter river running through her veins.

But she wasn't going to give in to the anger. Not going to give in to Rian. Not anymore. Over the last couple of hours, she'd already given him enough of herself, thank you very much. The rest...she'd be giving that to Echo. As soon as she saw everything she had to see, signed the contract, and made a concentrated effort to stay clear of Rian's radar. And away from his stupid, probing stare.

She lifted her chin and refused to allow a trace of emotion into her voice. "I want you to show me where I'm staying."

His silver eyes bored into her. "Fine."

He turned from her, moving at his usual quick pace. As he went past this time, he didn't grab her hand. He didn't even look at her. He disappeared down the stairs before she could blink, leaving her no choice but to scramble to catch up. Gritting her teeth, she followed him. And with a wordless mutter, she took the stairs, two at a time, her mismatched socks bumping rebelliously against the wooden stairs. Mocking their richness in a way that made Stevie kind of proud.

In your face money, she thought.

But her pride was short-lived. As she reached the bottom of the steps, she saw that Rian was already at the next set, poised to go down to the main floor. And it felt like he was winning.

"Hey," Stevie called. "You want to tell me what it is that bothers you most?"

He paused. "About?"

"Me. Is it the fact that I'm doing the show? Or just my virginity?"

"Your virginity doesn't bother me."

Did he actually look embarrassed? Stevie seized on it.

"Really? Because you keep bringing it up."

"You don't seem to..." he trailed off, and yep, she was sure he was embarrassed now.

"I don't seem to what?"

"Care," he muttered.

"About what?"

His eyes travelled the length of her body. Quickly. Then he looked away. And Stevie caught his drift perfectly.

"Are you saying that I don't care about my virginity?" She knew she sounded as incredulous as she suddenly felt.

Rian shrugged wordlessly.

"What is this?" Stevie said. "The fifteen freaking hundreds? Do you want to buy me a chastity belt?"

"If it'd help."

She blinked. "Is it my virtue you're trying to protect? Or every woman's?"

Rian ran a hand over his hair. "Look. It's not your virginity."

"Oh, so it is everyone else's too, then? You just ride through town, saving maidens?"

"Could you make this a little more awkward?"

"Yeah, it's me making it awkward."

He sighed. "I came into this with an expectation. A standard."

Stevie glared at him. "And I don't meet it? Because you were expecting some slutty dancer? You do realize most of those girls are just – "

"I'm not stereotyping them, Stevie. But I sure as hell wasn't expecting to set my brother up with a girl with no experience."