We'll Be Okay

Actualsunshinepoedameron.tumblr.com

Barry Allen X Reader
----------
You fidgeted anxiously with the sleeves of your sweater, mentally begging your family to understand that Barry wasn't coming.

Luckily for you, they seemed to get the message when after ten minutes had passed, you remained alone (Barry was never more than ten minutes late, and since he hadn't shown up yet...well, they knew what that meant).

Unluckily for you, one member of your family didn't seem to get the memo.
"__y/n__! __y/n__!" Your youngest niece, Maddie, tugged at the hem of your shirt until you picked her up, settling her on your hip.

"What's up, munchkin?" You asked, trying to press a kiss to her nose and frowning when she pulled away from you. She wrinkled her eyebrows at you and peered over your shoulder.

"Where's Bawwy?"

Your mind went blank. What were you supposed to tell her? "He broke up with me, you're probably never gonna see him again" would break her little heart.

"He, uh, couldn't make it today." You offered up reluctantly.

Her lower lip quivered as she pouted. "But Bawwy never misses my birthday!"

"I know, honeybun, I'm sorry. He had work stuff to deal with today." A total lie.

She looked like she was about to cry for a moment, and you panicked internally. If she started crying, there was not a doubt in your mind that you would cry too. And you really didn't feel like breaking down in front of your family members, not today, of all days.

You hadn't wanted to come today, it would've been your five year anniversary with Barry, but your sister had begged you to come, for Maddie's sake.

"Can I spend the night with you and Bawwy this weekend?" She asked hopefully, and you didn't know what to say.

Barry had moved out of your apartment two months ago, after he told you that he had to "get away from you". He didn't even give you a reason aside from that, and instead gave you one last, lingering kiss before gathering up his stuff and leaving the apartment.

You didn't go to work for the next week, unable to do anything but wallow in your misery. Barry, the love of your life, the man you were so sure you were going to marry, had broken up with you without a second thought.

"Of course you can, sweetie!" Fuckfuckfuck, that was not what you meant to say.
"Yay! Thank you, auntie!" She squealed excitedly and scrambled out of your arms, running over to her mom and telling her the good news.

You couldn't handle the look she gave you, full of pity and sadness, breaking her gaze and running into the house. You locked yourself in the bathroom and ducked into the tub, digging your phone out of your pocket.

You went to your camera roll, opening a folder that was labelled "For when you need to smile". It was a folder you had put together when you and Barry first started dating, and it was full of pictures of Barry, with a couple of you and Barry together. You hadn't had the heart to delete it yet, still too hopeful that someday Barry would change his mind and your world would be flipped rightside up again.

And right now, you were thankful for it. Looking at Barry's smiling face always helped keep you grounded, but as you continued to scroll through the pictures, you felt tears pricking your eyes.

Was this all your relationship with Barry left you with? A couple hundred pictures and a broken heart?

You sighed and closed the album, going to your contacts instead. You tapped your fingers against the edge of the tub as you waited for him to answer his phone.
"__y/n__?" Barry asked, surprise coloring his voice.