My grandma.

I live with my grandma, she's the only family I have left. I'm always worried about her, but she's more concerned of my studies than herself. I don't know who my parents are, they left me & my grandmother. My grandma has taken care of me since I was little. And now I'm old enough to handle myself, it's time for me to take care of her.

My grandma walks in slowly, coughing as shes putting the plastic bag with a container of rice on the wooden table. "Sorry, I didn't have enough money. *cough-cough* You're going to have to eat the left over fish, there is still some left."

"But ma, what about you?"

"Don't worry about me darling, hurry.. *clearing her throat* eat up, your food will get cold." she says, pouring water in her glass.

I'm considering to start working since my grandma is ill, but she doesn't want to visit the doctors & she doesn't want me to stop schooling. Our electricity is out, we have no water source in the house but luckily there is a near by river just around the corner so we don't need to worry about water. Again, I'm going to ask her."Ma, should I stop schooling?"

She drops our only 3rd plate by accident. "No." 

"But why? I- I mean, look at us. You're using up all your money on my studies and we can't even pay the electricity bills." I stutter..

"I am definately not stopping you from going to school. You are only fifteen." She picks up the broken glass off the floor & sweeps up the tiny sharp pieces.

"I can look for a job." I reply.

"No. You are too young, I want you to get a good job when you graduate. I'm going to rest now." She huddles off onto the mattress on the floor, whilst I continue eating my food.

It's midnight, I'm suppose to finish my homework but I can't help watch my grandma struggle with sleeping & coughing as I sink into thoughts of how we are going to survive in a condition like this. I put the blanket over her shoulders, got her some water to drink & she went back to sleep.

I blew the candles, put my books away & slept next to my grandma.

Early in the morning.. I got up, turned to see my grandma but she was already up preparing breakfast. "Good morning!" She smiles. I got up, walked towards the table, she hands me over the plate with rice. The plate was shaking, I looked up at her arms & she was shaking. I don't even think she notices it herself, I shed a bit of a tear. "What's wrong? I'm sorry, rice is all I could feed you. But when you finish studying, you will be able to feed yourself delicious food."

I took the plate from her, stopped & thought, that's it. I am definately going to stop school. "Thank you ma, I love you very much."  I finished my food & rushed out of the house.

I didn't go to school, I went to collect some lovely flowers & made it into a bouquet. I walked around the streets selling them & earned a bit of cash. Then I went to the fountain of what they call 'Love' because there are lot's of couples who hang there, that the boys would love to buy flowers for their partner. But that means I have to stay a bit late because it's more 'romantic' at night. Stupid love, they're always hugging & kissing, tickling & messing around. They're so happy. But being inlove is not what I need right now. My first priority is my grandmothers health.

It was about 11 when I got home, I was just about to open the gate to walk in but I heard something glass smashing & someone coughing. I rushed into the house, only to see my grandma on the floor coughing & vomiting blood. The 2nd last plate we have broken on the floor. She looked up at me, in tears. I cleaned up the mess quickly, put her on the bed. Gave her water & wiped the coughed blood off her face. "Stay here, I'll call for help."