The Lone Wolf

Chapter 1: The Lone Wolf

Scorpius Malfoy always followed in his father's footsteps. He was a good child and didn't get into trouble. He—

Oh to hell with it. That's what most people want to hear when they think of the Malfoys. Rich, the very definition of perfection. But not me. I, Scorpius Malfoy, am far from conventional. I go wherever the wind takes me. Poetry is my way of expression, and whatever you do, I'll do the opposite. I don't care for petty things; I love nature. I've taken up Muggle picture taking, which of course, my father isn't happy about.

Speaking of my father... Do you recall that war your parents would talk to you about (might I add, bored you senseless in the process?) my dad played a rather major role in it; though he wasn't on the good side of things like that Harry Potter bloke you've heard of. He was Draco Malfoy: part of the Slytherin house, paler than a ghost with hair to match, and once a Death Eater—well, almost. He wasn't good enough for them, so he didn't really belong anywhere. So I suppose he wasn't really good or bad, but that didn't stop people's opinions. They always said, "Even though he didn't become a Death Eater, if he had a chance, he'd surely jump for it." My dad tried to ignore these accusations after the war, but wasn't so lucky in preventing them from running over my life.

Though I take everything in stride now, I wasn't so a few years ago. When I first arrived at Hogwarts, the students judged me as soon as they heard my last name. Not because of me, but just because I was a Malfoy. I know; I don't see the logic either. Everyone else seemed to, though. And so that's how I was, a loner, or as some people called me, The Lone Wolf. I didn't really take as an insult, but more of who I was. I think it annoyed the students even more just because I wasn't bothered by their attempts to break me down. After that, they just left me alone, which suited me just fine. I didn't need friends to make me happy. Or so I thought.

And so, this is where my story begins, though it starts in the middle of my life, it is definitely the beginning of my sixth year at Hogwarts, and the year that defined who I really was, or maybe who I always was, but just hidden behind a mask.

"Now Scorpius, you know how important this year is for you, don't you?" Dad asked me as we walked towards Platform Nine and Three Quarters.

"Dad, I've told you just yesterday!" I growled, losing my patience.

He'd been nagging me about it since fifth year started. I've long since tired from hearing about it.

"I know, I just want to be sure you've got it into your head how important it is for you to not mess it up!" Dad replied.

"Yeah, yeah," I grumbled, adjusting the camera around my neck.

"And must you continue using that bloody Muggle object? You're a wizard for Merlin's sake!"

We were now at the platform. I kept a firm grasp on my trunk, and frowned slightly.

"I'll see you at Christmas, dad," I said before going into the barrier.

When I finally arrived on the train, there were plenty available compartments and I chose one towards the back with a slightly larger window so I could take some nice scenery pictures. I put my trunk above my seat and settled in for the ride. No one ever came into my compartment, so I knew I wouldn't be bothered. Soon enough, while I was watching the people pass by from my window, they started to disappear from view, and buildings started passing by.

I leaned my head against the window to catch up on my sleep. I know, not the most interesting start to my story, but just wait. I had almost nodded off when I heard the screech of the door open and close.

"Is it all right if I sit here?" a girl's voice asked.

I looked up to see a girl with bushy red hair smiling down at me. I knew who she was, of course: one of the many Weasleys. Rose Weasley, actually. I had no idea why she was in my compartment, nor did I particularly want her there.