Chapter 14

Ron is back? He is back here in England? No, that's not possible. This is just a sick joke. Yes that's it, Ginny is lying in hopes that I will tell her what her brother did to me. But I won't tell her, no I most certainly will not. I can not believe that she would stoop to such a level as to tell this twisted lie. She is supposed to be my friend and, while she doesn't know the whole truth, she knows that Ron hurt me and she should know that she is causing me pain by joking like this.

Hermione pulls away from her thoughts to look at her red headed friend, preparing to admonish her for telling the hurtful joke, when she notices a certain look in Ginny's eyes. It was pain, concern and a sincerity that sickens her. 

It isn't the emotions themselves that made Hermione feel that way. It's that there isn't an ounce of deceit in her eyes. Ginny had been completely earnest when she had spoken. 

If she was being sincere then that means... that means Ronald Weasley really was back.

In that moment of realization, Hermione's ear ring and her heart thuds sharply in her chest, deafening her to whatever Ginny is attempting to say. She's lost again to the stormy sea of her thoughts.

He can't come back! After what he did, he wouldn't havethe nerve to come here again. And to want to see me as well? Does he want me to suffer, even more so than I already do? I don't know how I can survive with him back in town and seeking me out. It was hard enough trying to forget when he wasn't here!

Hermione breaks away from her thoughts again when she feels the sob rising in her throat and the tears pricking at her eyes. 

She's going to cry, that she is positive of, but Ginny was still there. The curly haired girl glances up at her friend who's still pacing and talking. Hermione can't cry, not in front of her friend. When she's alone in her own room with a silencing charm to mask the sounds, it's one thing. But to show a weakness like that to another person is something she can't allow. Ginny has to leave.

"...so sorry! we all tried to get him to leave you alone when he came to the Burrow for a visit but he wouldn't listen to anyone." 

Hermione interupts before Ginny can barrel on. "Ginny just calm down. I'm not upset with you or the others and everything is fine. I told you before and I'll tell you again, I've long since forgotten what he has done and I've moved on. You should too. Everyone actually. What he did is in the past and it can't be changed but he's your family and if I can forget what he did then you should, too." Hermione plasters on her most convincing smile to reassure Ginny but, for the first time in a long time, Ginny sees straight through it.

"Hermione Granger, don't you lie to me! I may not know the full story as to what happened between you and him, and I respect that you don't want to tell me, but don't you dare tell me that you're fine. I don't care if that git is my brother or not. He hurt you in a bad way and I know I won't ever look at him the same way again, none of us will. You know, George and Bill nearly threw him out of the house and Mom gave him the coldest shoulder, barely looked his way, let alone spoke to him. As for me, well let's just say that when I found out he was back at The Burrow, I was there so fast that Harry barely had time to catch me before I really did a number on Ron." Ginny glows with pride at the actions of her family against Ron and even Hermione can't help but feel touched that they all defended her in such a way.

"They didn't have to do that for me," Hermione says, but her smile grows a bit more sincere. "I wasn't lying when I said I had forgotten, thoght. I really have, and it's time you all did as well. Now go on home, Ginny." Hermione gets up and starts to lead her back to the fire place, rushing to be alone so she could allow the tears that were beginning to cloud her vision to be released.

"Are you sure? I can stay and talk if--"

"No, no. I'm perfectly alright," Hermione promises. "Besides, I have to go and deal with Malfoy, then make dinner and write to my aunt to tell her I am coming for Christmas. Tell Harry and little Teddy that I'll see them soon though. I promise! Love you, Ginny, goodbye. Have a wonderful evening!"