"Something wrong?" Sam, my second in command asks as I enter the large lounge room of the quarters.

Sam MacIntosh is almost an adopted brother to me, having been raised by my parents when the clan he was born into disintegrated. His mother had disappeared and his father as an Alpha had known that with no Queen or she-kitt his own life and that of his two young sons would be in danger when some ambitious Alpha decided he needed more land to add to his wife’s clan lands. So the two young toms had been left with our clan to be raised as members of the clan while their father submerged himself into the human world earning money as an antiques dealer to support his two sons. Sam is one hell of a good warrior and he has proven his worth to the clan time after time. I would rather have him with me than against me. He will be a loss hard to replace when he marries Lotty Inness, a she-kitt from a neighbouring clan. But that is in the future and I don’t have to worry about it at this minute.

"Edwin and the others have come across the fresh scent of a stray in town. Wade wants it caught and brought out here for questioning and possible warnings and/or discipline," I say tightly, my anger strong within me.

As the second most dominant tom in the clan I take the intrusion of this stray personally. The urge to catch the intruder and make sure he knows not to trespass on clan territory uninvited drives me as I go to my room and hurriedly change into tough hiking gear. I try to calm down, I know my fear for my sister often comes across as anger or aggression.

"You wanted to speak to me?" Steven asks as he walks into the bedroom we share, makes his way to his side of the room and quickly puts on his army surplus boots.

"I plan on giving this stray a personal memento of why not to come onto Williamson clan lands if he’s looking for trouble," I tell him tightly.

"You plan to kick some butt?" Steven grins.

Let me tell you about this tom. We’ve been best friends since meeting at a werecat engagement party when we were both still too young for school. He’s my best mate, my partner when we go off on clan business to deal with strays and outlaws. I know he will have my back no matter how dangerous the situation or whether or not he agrees with what I am doing at the time - we support each other regardlessly.

"If he’s some stray looking to check out our Queen and she-kitt then when I am finished with this bastard he won’t be coming around anymore. He’ll be lucky if he can walk properly!" I snarl.

It’s not uncommon for strays that have adjusted to werecat life to become interested in clan females. Most of the time it is harmless but some of the toms are driven by the strong urge to breed and are after a female for only one thing.

"We can’t be letting any strays get this close to Jazzy," Mitchell, Sam’s younger brother, says from the doorway. I glance at the younger warrior. I’m well aware he is sweet on my little sister and that she returns the feelings.

"You telling me my job?" I ask tightly as I turn to face him. Both he and his brother are exceptional members of the warrior force. Mitchell’s only faults are his youth and too compassionate nature.

"No, I’m saying I know my job," Mitchell says.

"Good! See you do it!" I snap.

"This is the car with the strays scent in it," Edwin says motioning towards an older model small car parked in the shadows at the edge of the pub’s car park; it’s a typical cheap rental car.

Edwin is my oldest brother and although he leads his own team of warriors it is I who am the Head Warrior, the Beta of the clan. I hold the position through my fighting ability and being able to plan and execute any action needed.