Chapter 18

I woke up to the feel of a warm, hard body pressed up against my back. Eddie’s right arm was tucked possessively around my stomach, his right leg draped across my own. It felt like every part of my body was being touched by his. I didn’t want to move, didn’t want to lose this moment. It should have been weird to have him so close, to have so much physical contact with him, since it hadn’t been that long ago that I was trying to keep him at a distance, but this felt right, it was right.

I must have drifted back to sleep because I woke up a while later to the sounds of people talking downstairs. I could smell coffee brewing and eggs cooking. Eddie had also woken and was now gently skimming the length of my torso with his fingers. It was the softest touch, but it was enough to make my body yearn for more.

I turned so that I was facing him. We didn’t do or say anything for a long moment. He studied my face, as if checking to see how I was, his expression unreadable. His fingers slowly moved to caress my cheek before tracing my eyebrows and the bridge of my nose. He looked well rested and content, and he had the most angelic smile on his face.

“Morning,” I whispered. “Happy Thanksgiving.”

“Morning. How are you feeling?”

“I’m fine. My arm is the only thing that hurts now, and even that isn’t too bad.”

He frowned at that and I shifted so that I could stroke his lips with my fingers. He smiled again and quickly stuck out his tongue to lick them.

“You know, you look and taste so beautiful in the morning. I could get used to waking up like this every day.”

I rolled my eyes. “Not gonna happen, buddy. I’m pretty sure this was a one-time deal. My parents may like you but they still protect the innocent.”

He scoffed. “You, an innocent? Maybe technically but you definitely don’t kiss like one. And I feel like everything with you is new anyway, so I’m just as innocent as you are. Especially since you somehow reduce me to a quivering fool.”

I had to laugh at him. He was attempting a really bad puppy dog expression and he was actually pouting.

“Uh huh, whatever. You’re just saying that because I’m actually making you work for it unlike all the other girls. Maybe you aren’t up to the challenge…”

“Well – we did end up in bed together before we even went on our first date, so I guess I still have some of my mojo,” he teased.

I lightly slapped him and he pulled a fake wounded look. “I see you have all of your strength back.”

“Yep.” We were still joking around, but Eddie had unintentionally brought yesterday’s fight back into my mind. I wanted to know what happened during the time that I was unconscious. I had a lot of questions about Amber and why I was brought to the hospital that I hadn’t thought to ask last night. 

“Hey Eddie?”

“Uh huh?,” he responded, as he brushed his fingers up and down my arm.

“Can you tell me everything that happened yesterday, from the time you found me to the time I woke up in the hospital? I need to know.”

“Ceci – I don’t know if that’s a good idea. There was a lot of stuff going on at once and it may be better if you don’t keep thinking about it." 

“I know. But it would help me to understand better. Besides, don’t you think the cops are going to want some answers?”

Eddie gave me a strange grin before responding. “The cops actually came while you were still sleeping. They talked to your parents and then they left.”