Capitulo Seis

Well, my leg was cleaned. As was my face, arms, chest, back, and basically any part of me the Sun saw. Luckily the wound on my leg didn't seem to be too deep; the bleeding had slowed, and the leg was bandaged with clean white cloth from my ankle to my knee. Serena had insisted upon bathing me in my entirety, brushing and styling my hair, and revamping my outfit. In reality, she forced me out of my clothes and into hers. Gone was my simple outfit for sparring and activities, and in its place was an outfit of the magnificently tasteful Serena. A loose, colorful skirt that floated gently to my ankles and laced up at my waist was balanced by a plain, white blouse. My shoulders were bare, because the blouse created a straight line just over my bust, and was held in place by the ruched sleeves and tight bodice. The bosom puffed comfortably. The blouse ended just at the top of the skirt; it was as though the pieces were made for each other. They probably were, I thought to myself, after all, this is the princess' outfit.

The Sun was sinking westward; it was now at least five hours past midday. Serena and I left the tent in search of...actually, I don't know what we're searching for. Serena had just finished primping me when suddenly she dragged me by the arm back into the open courtyards between the tents. I hoped we were searching for dinner, because I hadn't eaten since this morning, with my father...

With a painful pang I realized my father would probably be furious at this moment, missing his evening meal with worry over me. I missed him so. Since Chel's wedding, my father and I had eaten our evening meals in the quiet solitude of our home. Our solid home, with walls and doors. I missed it dearly and I hadn't been gone for ten hours yet. These mobile tents would never be able to supply the steady there-ness that my father's permanent house provides. I wanted to go home. I wanted to have my father teasing me for wolfing down my dinner. I wanted to be able to throw myself into my bed after I ate too much. I wanted Tor to throw pebbles into my window until I came outside to walk down to the water's edge.

Serena was talking. I had no clue about what, though.

"...he's never like that, normally. I'm sure you'd love him if you got to know the real him. Oh well. I'm sure you'll warm up to-"

"I'm sorry, the real who?"

"Takoda!" She replied frustratedly.

"I'm sorry, I don't think there will be any 'warming up' going on," I scoffed.

"But why?!" She groaned, "he's a nice person!"

"I'm sure he is-to you. He called me some things that are pretty irrevocable. If he even tried to apologize for how he treated me-which I'm sure he wouldn't-I still wouldn't like him any." I rolled my eyes, remembering the "pathetic princess" lines he used on me.

"But-"

"No."

"But-"

"No. Just no. Give it up, Serena."

"It's just that my brother is so lonely sometimes, there aren't many his age around here, and really you two are so like-minded, I think you could be friends, at the very least!"

"Your brother?"

"Yes, the pigheaded gargantuan is my brother. Was he not attractive-looking to you? Is that what has put you so off him?"

"What? No! He's just, as you said, pigheaded. And rude. And sadistic. And ignorant. And rude. And brute-ish. And rude," I summed up.

"Oh, but those are some very quick assessments, and he's not really those things. Especially not rude," she replied, her voice taking a precautionary edge.

"I beg to differ."

"Hmm..." Serena trailed off, leaving me befuddled at her interest in the nonexistent relationship between her brother and me.

"Ok, not that that conversation wasn't fun or anything but what are we doing?" The rushed wandering between the portable houses had me bewildered and impatient. Serena had an amused look on her face when she glanced back at me briefly.

"The evening meal, where else? Does your tribe not convene together for your last meal of the day?"

"Only for special occasions, feasts or holidays. Usually we just eat with our immediate family. For example, before my sister wed and left my father's house for her husband's, my evening meal would be shared just with my father and sister. And my very good childhood friend frequently sups with us- I frequent his family's meal table, as well. Our evening meals are casual, but somewhat intimate."

Serena processed this information that seemed to be very different from what she was accustomed to.

"Hm, well it seems that you're in for a shock, then," she alluded.

Oh boy.

***

He was there. So was the rest of the head family. Once Serena had seated us, she explained, "The entire family dines together in our tribe. The entire extended family. Those lines often overlap, so you can pretty much eat with whomever you'd like to!"

"He's here," I growled, glaring in the direction of the oblivious thug. He was laughing with young men who appeared to be just a few years older than he. Around them, he seemed even younger. He couldn't be more than 2, maybe 3, years older than I am.

"Who?" Serena asked, then followed my line of vision. "Oh, of course Kody's here! He is my brother, my father's son, after all!"

His eyes flicked to us when he heard his name chirped by his sister. His grin disappeared when his gaze rested upon my unfortunate person. He set his jaw and approached us with a strut similar to a dark jaguar's.

"Hello, brother!" Serena smiled.

"What is the outsider doing here?" he demanded. I shot Serena a pointed look.

She grasped my upper arm protectively. I was glad someone here was kind and liked me.

"Geavonna is here because she is a guest, Takoda. She is to be treated as such. Your own foolishness is the reason she is here now, do not forget that," Serena warned him.

"Pfft, guest- more like prisoner on house arrest... But our supper table, really? What will the family think?"

"They'll think that we got extremely lucky that the fruit of your stupidity is so pretty and smart."

I smiled a tiny smile to myself as Takoda blushed a deep red and clammed up. 2-0, Serena.