He went back inside to start preparing the vegetables. He wanted to grill the steaks on the barbecue. He would serve grilled zucchini, eggplant and peppers and a salad with it. He liked the way that those vegetables tasted after grilling them, especially when he charred the peppers; he hoped Rosie liked them too. He chopped up the vegetables and put them in a bowl in the refrigerator.

He took out the wine so that it wouldn't be so cold and took the steaks out of the refrigerator and took them out of the butcher's paper. He prepared the steaks with seasoning and put them on a plate that he covered with plastic wrap. He grabbed the bag of chips, opened them and poured them into a bowl that he set out on the counter.

He had just washed his hands for the umpteenth time and was standing in the middle of the kitchen admiring all of his preparations when the doorbell rang. His heart leaped into his throat, he hung the hand towel up and went to the rarely used front door.

"Hi Henry, wow, your house is gorgeous, you look great, I hope I'm dressed ok, the description of your place on the Multiple Listing Service doesn't do it justice, geez, you smell good, what's for dinner - I haven't had lunch - oh, I hope I'm not being rude - aren't you going to invite me in?" Rosie was obviously as nervous as Henry was; she was talking a mile a minute.

"Hi, you look wonderful." Henry said and meant it. She had on impossibly high heels, her white shorts showed off her tanned legs and a black blouse. She had what seemed to be a trademark sweater thrown over her shoulder; it was pale green and looked great with her hair. Her legs were either really long for such a short person, or her shorts were short, or it could have been both. It didn't matter to Henry, she looked terrific.

He bent down to give her a hug and she kissed his cheek again. He returned her kiss and invited her inside.

"You know, that you're doing it again." She turned around and smiled a big smile.

"I know, I'm sorry, I kept saying in the car don't be nervous Rosie, don't get excited Rosie, you're not a school girl Rosie, but since I met you Henry, I'm excited about my future. I hope that maybe my future includes you. Oh, this house is beautiful!" She paused in front of the French doors that led from the living room into the backyard pool. "That pool looks gorgeous. The one at my condo complex always has little kids in it. I never use it."

"Well maybe we can go for a swim in a little while." Henry said, "Would you like to set down your purse, take off your sweater, and have a glass of wine?"

"Yes to all three." Rosie said setting her purse on the couch and laying her sweater over it. "Where is your housemate?"

"Charles went out to visit a friend." Henry couldn't help but look at her back, her blouse was designed so that the back was open and he noticed that she wasn't wearing anything under it. She had the same freckles on her back that he noticed on her nose the other day and he was fascinated. He wondered what it was like to count the freckles on her back. Suddenly, he realized he was staring at her and he quickly went to the counter to open a bottle of the chardonnay.

"Oh too bad, I was looking forward to meeting him. What time will he be home?" Rosie leaned on the counter.

"I don't know - I actually don't expect him back until tomorrow." Henry put the corkscrew into the bottle of wine.

"Too bad, I guess I can meet him next time." She said, "Can I do anything to help?"

Henry was glad that she also felt that there was going to be a next time.

"I bought some chips, I don't know what your preference is, but since you like Mexican food, I though tortilla chips were safe." He put the bowl of chips on the counter in front of her.