"That was unexpected. I mean, me?"

He smiled,"Yeah,you. Pretty ass Sophie who's my childhood partner." I blushed, camouflaging with my red crop-top. He called me pretty! Yikeeessss!

"Why?", I asked, trying to keep the excitement away from my voice. "What why?", he squeezed his eyebrows at me. I looked away,"Well, why did you even like me? And even if you did, why didn't you ever tell me? Why now?"

"Those are a lot of Why's", he chuckled and then said in a serious tone,"Sophie, since I first saw you smile, I knew I was a goner. You were like the dream girl; cute and naughty. But I tried getting over it because I realised you were so out of my league and you would never feel the same about me."

I sat up now, cross legged,"Out of your league? Nuh uh. More like under it." It was the truth. I'm not even being modest. He caught me by my hands as he said,"No, Sophie. You're worth a lot more. You don't deserve guys like me. And I'm telling you now because well I just had to get it out, I couldn't keep it in any longer."

"Oh.", that's all my voice said. I winced at my stupidity.

"Will you please stop oh-ing?", he frowned, not breaking eye contact. I sighed. Do I tell him I used to love him too? Correction. I still love him. Madly. Do I? Love? What the heck? Since when did Sophie Hazelwood start to love?

"Well," I started," I like you too."

He pulled me up and made me face him. "What did you say?", his eyes (which were light blue now) locked on me,"Did you say you liked me too, Sophie?" I nodded slowly,"Except that, I still do." I sighed. I didn't know if it was the right thing to do. I didn't want to lose my friend. Am I even sure?

"Wha--", he paused and continued," I didn't know, Sophie. I wish I did. I am so so sorry." He looked at the ground and I watched him droop. "Hey," I caressed him," if you did, then I wouldn't be able to do this." He looked at me,"Do what?"

I smiled devilishly and pushed him off the slope. He rolled down, ahhhh-ing in the process. When he reached the ground, I kicked some dirt on him. "Sophie!", he wailed," Stop!" I guffawed as he got up and ruffled his blond hair.

He came and hugged me,"You're the bestest friend a person can have." I whispered back into his ears,"Show Celine that you're the bestest boyfriend a girl can have. Or guy." He punched me again, laughing. "Why is it that you always smell like lilies?", he breathed into my hair. "Victoria's secret", I winked. He just looked at me for a second as if I was crazy. "Victoria is this shampoo my dad used to get me. Lilies were his favourite."

His face smoothened,"You know sometimes I wish I'd met him. How much I would like to ask him what was he thinking when he picked you up at the pound." I burst out into laughter and pulled away from him,"Promise me something."

"Yeah?", he raised his eyebrows.

"Promise me you'll never forget me?" A smile etched his face as he nodded. "Cross my heart, and hope to die."

I giggled,"Burn my lungs and curse my eyes." He shook his head, smiling slowly,"Everything."

It had been two months into the relationship when Celine grew ever so jealous of the bond me and Josh shared. I noticed how uncomfortable she was when he once joked in lunch that I was so pretty even the gods were in awe. But I guess she easened when he added,"I mean dogs."

Suddenly, during one summer, he stopped talking to me properly. I used to walk up to his house and Mrs.Stone opened every single time, giving excuses such as 'He's studying' or 'He's not at home'. At first I used to believe her but then I noticed his shadow in the kitchen or his legs crossed in the sofa while his favourite show was going on. I don't think he knows, but I've seen him sneaking out of the house, as if hiding from someone and then turn around the bend and walk off normally, playing football with other guys.