Part 1: Runaway Geisha

CHAPTER 1

"Kasumi don't pull so hard!" I cried out as Kasumi pulled tight the last of the strings in my kimono.

"Now, now, don't be a prude. You must look your best for Nobunaga." She's right, of course. The warlord picking me as his company for tonight has all the other geisha's fuming with jealousy. Including Kasumi, though she fails to admit it. Kasumi finishes tying up my kimono and I stand to look in the mirror. My white skin glows, bringing out my raven black hair and blood red lips. "You look gorgeous, you just might give the old man a heart attack" she says. "I know, but don't be sour darling, you'll get your chance someday" I tell her.

She puts her hands on her hips. "I'm not sour. I just wasn't picked because he hasn't seen me yet." I roll my eyes at her and turn back to the mirror to adjust my kimono.

That's what I love about Kasumi,  we're so alike.

We've been living together ever since our village was wiped out. Kasumi's father and my father were brother's. They died around the same time. After we had nothing left in our village we moved here to the capital and became geisha's on our own. We've stuck by each others side ever since.

"Well, I'm good to go." I say turning around. "If you think I'll give him a heart attack now, wait until he sees me naked" I wink at Kasumi through the mirror. She scoffs and looks at me unbelievably. "How are you never nervous? You manage to remain composed even in the most nerve wrecking situations! " I shrug off her question just as someone knocks on the door.

As I follow Kasumi to the door, my stomach starts to do flips. How could I not be nervous? Anything I do tonight is crucial to my status as a geisha. In fact, I've been nervous since becoming a geisha after my father died. I felt my chest begin to hurt like it always does when thinking about him. He was the only family I had. Memories of me and him making rice cakes when I was five came to my head, making my eyes blur.

"Akira! Akira!" she shouts, snapping me back into reality. "It's the guard! he's come to escort you to Nobunaga." The flips in my stomach got worse. I walk with Kasumi to the door where a well built man with a serious face stood.

"Ahh, you must be Akira. Master Nobunaga is very excited to see you. Come, I've got a horse for you." I turn back to Kasumi and give her a tight hug. "I hope you get better dear, I'll see you soon." She pulls back and smiles. "I hope so too, I'm missing out on all the fun." Just like Kasumi to look on the bright side of things. I wave at her and follow the man out.

He offers to help me on the horse but I swiftly get on myself. He stands there looking surprised. "I used to ride horses with my father" I say. He nods and gets on his horse, leading the way. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We arrive at a beautiful fortress, because there's really no other way to describe what must be the home of Oda Nobunaga. Going up the steps I notice a clearing and a forest just behind it. This is no time to be distracted, I tell myself. Breathing in, I step into the fortress and unfold my fan. I'm led up a series of stairs, which, should have been tiring but my early years of training to fight with my father have prepared me. He always used to tell me that it was a necessary skill to have in case of an emergency, and it would surprise the hell out of anyone who tried to hurt me. I haven't had to fight anyone, but I've been training on my own ever since my father died. 

We stop at two huge doors leading to a room. I enter first, with the man trailing behind me.

Entering the room, I see a broad shouldered man with a round face wearing a gray silk kimono. Is this Nobunaga? He stands and waves off the guard. The door closes behind him and I realize I haven't bowed yet. "Please. Raise your head" he orders. I raise my head and look at the ground by his feet. Why am I nervous?